Logo

98 200hp Yamaha Stalls at WOT

the_wagon

"I have a 98 200hp Yam Saltwat

"I have a 98 200hp Yam Saltwater Series that has been acting up the last few months.

Symptoms:

1.When throwing the throttle forward in gear rapidly motor dies

2.Engine will not go over 4600 RPM at WOT (prior to this, engine would tach to 5400)

3 when loading onto the trailer, engine doesn't feel touquey enough to get onto trailer. (not like it did 6 months ago)

Points of interest:

Prior to this acceleration concern engine was running rough, stalling, hard starting. Only way to get it to stay running was to hold the choke down.

Current Yamaha tech claimed it was dirty watery fuel and performed the following: all carb rebuild kits , replaced water/fuel seperator, scraped tank pickup. Dropped it in the water and had the exact same issue. Took it back, he replaced the water seperator again and shown me a milky white substance extracted from the tank.

Third time back in this morning and not sure of the outcome.

Any suggestions?"

Have him pull a part the fuel

Have him pull a part the fuel pumps. They often get overlooked but are the next step in the fuel system. Odds are they are also plugged with gunk (if it is a bad as the tec thinks).

"if i use the squeese ball to

"if i use the squeese ball to pump fuel out, wouldn't i fee a restriction or see water in the fuel?"

so i got the boat back and was

so i got the boat back and was told that the carbs were cleaned. I added 2 inline filters between the fuel water seperator and the pumps. Should when i rev the engine no load the filter drains. The only way to keep a large amount of fuel is to squeeze the primer ball. I opened the rear access and pulled several samples from the bottom of the tank. No water!?

Ideas welcome

Back