Logo

71 18HP Evinrude wonbt go full speed anymore

topher

"Last year it was working fine

"Last year it was working fine. Now when I give it gas, the motor revs up, but the boat doesn't go past medimum speed. The prop is not full of weeds, but it acts that way. I don't know if the prop is slipping, or if there's too much air by the prop (maybe exhaust?) The water churns, but no forward thrust... I can not spin the prop when it's in gear, so I beleive the shear pin is ok. Any ideas?"

"I assume if I pull the prop,

"I assume if I pull the prop, it's behind that? Is it just a piece of rubber that holds the prop? (newbie)"

"Chris, the hub that jwb is ta

"Chris, the hub that jwb is talking about is part of your prop. Its pressed into place. You have to take it to a dealer or propeller repair shop to have it "rehubbed". The cost is about half of what you'd pay for a new propeller. Sometimes they might even straighten your prop for ya in the process. In the end at least they can tell ya what kind of shape your prop is in."

"I have an 71 Evinrude 18HP an

"I have an 71 Evinrude 18HP and it has no hub. It has a sheer pin instead. But if that is sheered, he wouldn't be going anywhere at all."

"Yup. Hub AND sheer pin...
I

"Yup. Hub AND sheer pin...
I pulled the prop & took it in.
$150 for a new prop including the hub(in a few days).
Or $100 for just the hub, but it'd take a few weeks.
New prop & I'm good.

Thanks All"

"I have a 1976 Johnson ,model

"I have a 1976 Johnson ,model 70EL76D,that will start and run smoothy in neutral.The problem shows up when the engine is placed in gear;it runs fine at idle but stumbles when throotle is advanced quickley; as to get on a plane.The engine will finally run at full throttle by rapid movement of throtle handle full/start several times,but when decreasing speed stumbles at any position between full speed pos.& dead idel.The previous owner had the carbs cleaned but could never resolve this problem.compression was alsochecked and within specs.HELP!!"

"Gene, find the "start new

"Gene, find the "start new discussion" bar on the catagory page, this will let everyone see your thread and would be much better chance of getting your problems solved."

Back