Logo

1996 merc and alpha one

kenr07

I bet ya'll get this alot.

I bet ya'll get this alot... I am new to owning a boat... I bought a 1996 Caravelle and supposedly everything was OKAY... I check all the fluids and made sure that they were topped off and put on the muffs and started it the cable from the shifter to the lowerunit was broke so i decided to shift it manually by hand i heard some clanking noises and it shifted to forward and the same in reverse i know they are noisy out of water but should i hear this?? also where the bilge pump is at i noticed some oil seepage and it smells like drive oil my question is where do i begin or do i just need to stop??

"Clanking noise is normal when

"Clanking noise is normal when shifted SLOWLY; quick shifting is the preferred procedure and their is virtually no noise.

You have to replace the lower shift cable unless it just came loose; then reconnect and tighten.

"where the bilge pump is at i noticed some oil seepage and it smells like drive oil"

If it has a drive oil reservior on the inside stern, it may have a cracked hose nipple or tank."

"I'd start by replacing th

"I'd start by replacing the shift cable.

Keep an eye on the oil leak... may be so minor it's not worth dealing with. Check the bottom of the oil bottle and the hose going to the transom plate.

WRT the noise when shifting, not a problem. You do want to shift in and out of gear 'crisply'. You should hear a clunk and feel a little bump.
If going from fwd to rev and vice versa, give it a momentary pause in neutral, otherwise you'll probably stall the engine.

There's no clutch. If you try to go slowly, the nosie you will hear is tiny flecks of gear teeth being torn away."

Thanks Guys believe it or not

Thanks Guys believe it or not i grew up on a lake and was around boats most of my life but hardly ever where they out of water and being a kid i didn't mess around much with when my dad fixed the problems i should of been a little more attenative The cable i mentioned isn't the lower control cable though its the one from the shifter to the engine i ordered it and i am waiting on it i hope to take the boat out by tuesday and try it out ... thanks for the input !

Back