Logo

Refitting the 2 halves of the drive

"hi all , ok so ive been busy

"hi all , ok so ive been busy with this old 470 and she now seems to be running sweetly .. ive just fitted a whole new water pump and when i separated the leg it was in gear , now with the lower on the bench is in neutral and the upper housing shaft seems quite loose ! i honestly havn't a clue how to line these bits up !
and then i'll be after a "foolproof guide to installing the 3 bellows ! can i pull the shift cable out of the boat ? as im sticking with the one ive got ! parts are quite hard to find here in england ! also if anyone wants some drawings for the alty conversion , heres the ones ive done for my boat !
http://kev8255.fotopic.net/p51732661.html
http://kev8255.fotopic.net/p51732657.html"

i made very hard work of the s

i made very hard work of the shift cablle ! just got the exhaust bellows to attach to the bellhousing in the morning ! i take my hat off to you guys who work on these drives on a regular basis !!!!

"Kev
If you havent got access

"Kev
If you havent got access to the proper bellows expander you can get away with using a piece of PVC pipe which is a slightly bigger diameter than the flange that the bellows fits over to expand the bellows.
Fit the pipe into the bellows and then leave overnite before removing the pipe just before fit up, the stretched bellows will normaly slide over the hub quite easily and then can be clamped down.
Make sure you use a bellows adheasive and fit the clamps in the exact positions shown in your manual.

The selector foot in the top housing will be a bit loose in the housing.

Stern drive work is not that bad a job, it can be time consuming and you soon learn that only fools take shortcuts.

Cheers
Peter C"

"cheers peter c ! problem im h

"cheers peter c ! problem im having is all bellows are fitted but the bellhousing end of the exhaust bellows ! and i cant seem to be able to work it onto where it fits ! push comes to shove i can borrow a tool by mail order from the people whoi bought my drive off ,but first im going to try and knock a tool up myself , oh well it is my first stern drive !"

Back