Logo

Alpha 1 no fw or rv b86 4win 140hp

86fourwins

This boat has been a fine and

This boat has been a fine and dependable craft until today.Today while taking my kids skiing suddenly no more drive. I had been manuvering to get a start and ratcheted into fw gear and NO go. Engine ran fine just no more shifting. I thought maybe I bumped the button on the side but it worked fine. Ended up close to the boat launch to take it out.Its now back at home and was wondering if anyone could cast some light on what happened. No major bang or noise just I was abit slow in getting into FW gear so it racheted noise a bit and no shift.Hope it is not major. i did check the mechanisms on the side of the engine and they move when Shifter is moved FW and RV
Thanks

"Cable may be in dire need of

"Cable may be in dire need of adjustment or worn out with too much slop to function properly.
The inner cable could have snapped or simply come loose from its fastening set screws. When you turn the prop by hand, does it have any resistance to speak about? If you move the shift lever into a gear position, does the prop then lock or meet firm resistance?

At the front of stern drive where the top and lower units join, if you look into a recessed pocket you can see the shift lever junction. Is the lower unit's shift rod mated with the upper unit's where they slide together? If so, when the shift handle is moved from forward to reverse, do the two rods rotate in unison? If they do not mate and rotate together, the lower shift cable is likely broken or disconnected at the rear end. If the rods rotate but no gear engagement, gears could be damaged.
I would guess gears are not likely broken, so think positive while looking for adjustment or possible cable replacemnt, while you carefully evaluate the mechanical actions carefully."

The prop does spin freely in e

The prop does spin freely in either direction with the shifter positioned FW or RV. I will check the mechanisms you touched on and report back.

Well I was able to check the f

Well I was able to check the front of the drive where the shift shaft meets the upper fork. The lower shift shaft is lower and not engaging the upper fork. The upper part moves when the shifter is moved.I can pull up the lower shaft to meet the upper fork and it then shifts FW NEU and RV as it should. Prop locks one way as it should when in gear.When I release the lower shift shaft it slides just lower than the fork and does not engage.Whatever keeps the lower shift shaft up appears to be the fault. I would prefer to keep it out of the shop if possible.

I pulled the lower unit and en

I pulled the lower unit and ended up putting a stainless steel washer over the shift shaft. That made up the 1/4 inch needed for the upper shift shaft to properly engage the coupler above. Reinstalled it tonite and the coupler lines up nice The shift mechanism drives into FW and RV fine. Now I just need to refill the lower unit with gear oil and test it tomorrow nite.

"When the water pump was servi

"When the water pump was serviced, someone forgot to replace the washer, or it fell off when the upper and lower were being assembled."

I actually did the water pump

I actually did the water pump last about 1.5 seasons ago and reinstalled it by the book. I dont believe there was a washer on the shaft as I am pretty through when servicing. Although I never looked at the exposed coupling before it must have been just catching enough to shift properly. Following the reassembly process in my stern drive manual they do not mention any washer but I believe I see one in the parts diagram. Thanks to all who assisted with this. I am happy for the easy fix without having to empty my wallet.

Back