Logo

Kwik question re 228 engine removal

knehdn

Contributing Member
"I have a 1977 Mercruiser 228

"I have a 1977 Mercruiser 228 outdrive matched with a 228 engine. Many parts were strewn everywhere in the engine compartment. Removed all of it including a variety of pumps and housings with hoses and pullies and such. Seems to me the engine is ready to pull - hence this question.... How many bolts attach the engine to the housing attached to the transom? There only seem to be two. One on each shoulder of the engine. Should there be more? I'll have the service manual in a couple days (thank you Rod), but I'm a little curious about it tonight.
Thanks guys.
Gabe"

""How many bolts attach th

""How many bolts attach the engine to the housing attached to the transom?"
I think 6... but I count 7 (6 bolts, 1 stud) on the parts page..wow what a lousy picture....:\ cut and paste this whole long mess into your address bar- it even tells you the bolt lengths:

http://www.dougrussell.com/partscatalog/components/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewparts&colid=04&coldesc=228%20(4%20BBL.)%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20GM%20305%20V-8%201977-1978&index=1593&block=31&BlockNumberList=5,6,16,15,3,12,7,31,25,4,17,18,19,26,23,14,24,20,1,8,28,30,27,29,21,22,13,9,10,11,2"

"Thanks Doc. That's what I

"Thanks Doc. That's what I've found. One bolt on each shoulder of the rear of the engine connecting to the housing, and a mounting bracket on each front corner which fit over 1" threaded rods.
Thanks again.
Gabe

PS... when I pull the motor, will it just slide out of that housing at the rear once it's over the front brackets? Or should I loosen the engine from the brackets and then have it slide straight forward, then up and out?"

"You do have the outdrive off,

"You do have the outdrive off, right? The rear
engine mounts are just sitting on the transom
plate bosses with a bolt through both, they are
not "inserted" into anything. Depending on the
boat you may have to move the engine forward a
bit to clear the motor box, otherwise it's just
a straight-up pull."

"Thank you. I have a good six

"Thank you. I have a good six to eight inches in front of the motor. With luck, my service manual will be in today's mail. I'll have a better understanding once reviewing it. Then I'll get a hold of a friend with backhoe to lift it out.
As always, help and input is greatly appreciated.
Gabe"

"[b]"I have a good six to

""I have a good six to eight inches in front of the motor."

Ayuh,...

But did you pull the Outdrive yet,..??..??..??

The Outdrive MUST be pulled before the motor is pulled.....

Not only must the motor be lifted Straight Up,....
It must be set Straight Down..."

"The outdrive is off. By that

"The outdrive is off. By that I mean, I undid the six nylocks and pulled off the rear unit (with the prop shaft at the bottom rear and the u-joint assembly at the top front). That, I assume is the outdrive. No cables to undo or anything. Just slid straight out. It seems to have some sort of internal hydraulics activated piston to control forward and reverse.
The trim cylinders and the housing to which they're attached are still on the transom. Do these need to be removed as well? I've looked, but haven't figured out how they come off.
Obviously I've never done this before, and do sincerely, appreciate everyone's input and patience.
Thank you.
Gabe"

There is a plastic thumb/finge

There is a plastic thumb/finger nut over the bolts holding them on to the drive.

""There is a plastic thumb

""There is a plastic thumb/finger nut over the bolts holding them on to the drive."

Ok. You lost me.
"thumb/finger nut" - Do you mean wingnut? I didn't see any. Are they on the outside of the transom? Or the Inside?
Remember - this is 1977 228 setup. Even the ratio of 2.00:1 doesn't seem to be listed in any info I've found, though that's what's labelled on the outdrive.
And sorry, but I don't know/understand what "them" are.

Please explain.

I'm sure I'll have a better understanding once I receive the service manual, hopefully in today's mail bag.

Thank you.
Gabe"

"No, they don't have to be

"No, they don't have to be removed but it helps to get the OD out of the way. Use plenty of soapy water on the bushings.

I looked your drive up (below) and it does not show the plastic "thumb/finger nut" that covers the main nut on the pin; see drawing.

"them" is both cylinders.

They are held on w/a pin thresded on both ends. See the drawing.

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_Pictures3.asp?dnbr=%2078371&ivar=images/CRUI SER/78371/16.png&inbr=987&bnbr=9&bdesc=TRIM+CYLINDERS+AND+HYDRAULIC+HOSES

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_Pictures3.asp?dnbr=%2078371&ivar=images/CRUI SER/78371/16.png&inbr=987&bnbr=9&bdesc=TRIM+CYLINDERS+AND+HYDRAULIC+HOSES

See item 20, CAP, my term is "thumb/finger nut"

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_Pictures3.asp?dnbr=%2099964&ivar=images/CRUI SER/99964/30081.png&inbr=2203&bnbr=220&bdesc=TRIM+CYLINDERS+AND+HYDRAULIC+HOSES"

"Thank you Guy. You're rig

"Thank you Guy. You're right, I don't have the plastic end caps.
So cylinders are out of the way, and I have the outdrive off.
Everything is off the engine - well, was already off, I just pulled them from the engine compartment. The only thing still connectecd, is the engine to the bell housing/transmission? with a bolt on each upper rear shoulder.
How does the engine engage the transmission or gearbox or whatever that large black thing is which is attached to the transom?
I need to ask 'cuz the mail's been slow 'round these parts and am still waiting on my manual.
Thank you for explaining.
Gabe"

"[b]"The only thing still

""The only thing still connectecd, is the engine to the bell housing/transmission? with a bolt on each upper rear shoulder.
How does the engine engage the transmission or gearbox or whatever that large black thing is which is attached to the transom"

Ayuh,.....

Remove those 2 bolts,+ Lift straight Up....."

"Gabe;
Rod here; did you get

"Gabe;
Rod here; did you get that cd yet? You should have it by now, but snailmail may be a bit slow.

There is no transmission. All the shifting etc is done in the drive leg. The big black thing behind the engine is just the transom assembly that supports the rear of the engine and accomodates the driveshaft from the engine coupler to the drive leg. It has a gimbal bearing in it, steering swivels, trim swivels, and assorted hoses, wiring, exhuast outlets, etc.

The engine is only fixed by four points as you have noted. It will pull very easily once you have the bolts out.

Good luck,
Rod"

"Mornin' Rod. No, it hasn&

"Mornin' Rod. No, it hasn't arrived yet. I was kinda hoping for it last week, but, snailmail being slow is an understatement.
Thanks for your input. I've loosened everything and am now waiting for a friend with backhoe to lift it out. May be another week or so till he's free. I thought about building my own gantry, but really can't justify the cost, considering the engine alone, needs to be lifted a good 10' to clear cockpit coaming. So with hoist and all I'll be 13/14' high. A little dicey in my opinion. I'm not in a rush. As originally mentioned; I got this beast for free and have planned at least a two year period to get everything right with the engine and the mess of an interior and exterior. Best part being, it's a sound hull. But there are wires everywhere, hoses all disconnected, cabinets and seating all ripped apart. The head's a mess. I want all the mechanics, etc. and electrics to be right first. Then plumbing, then cosmetics.
OK, maybe three years.
Talk later.
Gabe"

Back