Logo

43 MPI cuts out a little at high speed

hurricane1

Anyone know of a cause? i just

Anyone know of a cause? i just bought this used Hurricane 2002 with fuel injected 4.3 220 HP. Otherwise runs great but cuts out at high speed...

""runs great but cuts out

""runs great but cuts out at high speed..."

Please expound on that statement; what RPMs?, restarts? etc. Need more info."

"At full throttle, approximate

"At full throttle, approximately 3800-4000 rpm. I was paying more attention to the speed, which was 42-43 mph, then would drop to 37-38 when it would surge. It occurred truoghout the day. I would stop to fish for a while, then try to sprint across the lake to pick up the family, then again after we putted around a little. Similar results, although it did seem to get worse later in the day. I saw in another chat that a similar thing happened to another guy who saw sparks jumping from his sparkplug wires and the problem was solved when he changed plug wires. what kind would those be?"

"Have you change the spark plu

"Have you change the spark plugs? Clean the flame arrestor on top of the engine? New plug wires should be marine grade. Mercuiser, Accel, Sierra, Mallory, etc."

"thanks! I talked to the mecha

"thanks! I talked to the mechanic at the boatworks where i bought it. he thought maybe plugs too, or possibly wires. the engine runs fine at lower rpms. it's just at the very high end that it exhibits this behavior. I appreciate your input."

You are welcome Geno. Complim

You are welcome Geno. Compliments of this Mercruiser Board and its members.

"[b]"then would drop to 37

""then would drop to 37-38 when it would surge."

Ayuh,....

Change the Fuel Filters,...
You've probably got abit of Water..."

"Yeah, I might try that. I wil

"Yeah, I might try that. I will take it out Friday. A new filter is usually not the worst way to spend $10.00!!! didn't seem like it had that sort of gas-shortage lag, but then again, this is the first time I have run an MPI engine. the other times I have had similar issues was with my 188hp 302 carburated engine in my Cobalt. Thanks!"

"I wasn't fixated on the R

"I wasn't fixated on the RPMs, just the speed. So, that could be off a little. What should it be? Seemed pretty rapped out to me. It sounds fine between the cut outs."

"[b]" What should it be?&#

"" What should it be?"

Ayuh,...

Somewhere between 4500,+ 5000rpms.... 4800 is about Perfect...."

"Bondo,

You say fuel filter

"Bondo,

You say fuel filters... are there more than one on this one? I didn't get a chance to open the boat up last night."

Back