Logo

Cold start problems

K

kenmortimer

"1996 Searay 175XL with the Me

"1996 Searay 175XL with the Mercruiser 4.3LX Gen+ Serial OF803642 with 2 barrel carb. I am pretty sure it has Thunderbolt IV ignition. All plugs look great. The engine will start right up on first try in the morning. Engine dies after 5 to 8 seconds of fast idle. Engine will not start after this no matter how you try throttle position or pump throttle. Engine will start and backfire, etc. using starting fluid. After 5 trys of starting fluid the engine will finally start and idle like a champ. No more problems all day after that. Once engine is warm you can start and stop engine all day long. The engine runs great, idles great. It just won't start cold without playing the starter fluid game. What could cause this?
Thanks,
Ken"

Clean the choke and throttle p

Clean the choke and throttle plates and their bushings w/carb cleaner and then oil bushings and linkages w/light oil. Also clean the flame arrestor. Make sure the choke setting is correct and it closes when starting and opens slightly upon start. Don't overtighten the nut on the flame arrestor so not to distort the carb throat.

"Ken, I'm having exactly t

"Ken, I'm having exactly the same problem with *exactly* the same boat, configured just as you have above. Here's the thread where I asked, and got lots of good suggestions...read through it and see if you think anything will help:

http://www.marineengine.com/discus/messages/12486/191402.shtml

Also, if you get the problem solved, please post back and let us know what you did. I just installed a switch that I can use to activate the fuel pump before I try to crank, and will let you guys and gals know if it worked."

Back