Logo

2001 Yamaha 150 VMax

R

Ross Mc

"I am considering buying a 200

"I am considering buying a 2001 Blue Wave with a 2001 Yamaha 150 VMax with approx. 100 hours and was wondering how this engine holds up for as problems experienced through the years,and has Yamaha made many changes to that model since 2001 to 2008. Does the engine have many problems that are common. Are Yamaha parts easy to get for the older motors. Also what kind of gas mileage can I expect with a 150 that is 7 years old.

Thanks
Ross"

"100 hours in 7 years if very

"100 hours in 7 years if very light useage. Normally people get between 500 and 700 hours before doing anything serious to the powerhead. But, as with anything mechanical, it all depends on how you take care of it. Keep fresh plugs in it, be sure to use the proper oil, and treat it to a 16oz can of SeaFoam to half a tank of fuel once a year (keeps from building up carbon).

As for fuel mileage, if you have to ask.... Let's face it once you get over 130hp your mileage goes down by a large percentage then a 90hp compared to the 130hp. If you're a runner and like to keep it at 52-5500 then expect to use 8.5 to 10 gallons an hour. How far you will get on those gallons will depend on your boat's weight and haul design."

Back