Logo

Engine cranks over but no spark

jblack

"hi all, i was making some min

"hi all, i was making some minor adjustments to the throttle linkage with engine running and the hose came out of the water container i was using. the engine started to get hot before i noticed but it didn't get much over 200f before shut down, spit on the headers didn,t sizzle barely even steamed, raw water pump was still cool. once i got the water level good again i tried to restart but it wouldn't i figured i,d flooded it from the smell of gas so i decided to let it sit overnight and try to start the next day, no go, after checking i found i was getting no fire. i'm testing for spark at the high voltage lead from the coil, i connected + batt to + coil 13v but no spark, removed the tach wires from the - of coil - no spark, replaced the coil w/ a new 3.0 ohm from auto parts store no spark, tested the voltage on the - side of coil 13.6v the distributor is BID so i tried to discharge coil by using a screwdriver between the teeth and the sensor on the ignition module with the high volt lead grounded, no change in voltage on the - of coil so i figure its the sensor/ignition module unit, i've ordered one of those and it should be here soon (hopefully) is there anything else i should be looking at? i have family coming soon and really want to be able to take them out. the boat was starting without issue 3 days ago and i don't think the slight overheat and no spark are related but could they be? am i missing something here beside making sure the hose is secure next time i run it that way? sorry for the length of post but want to give a good idea of where i'm at with this. all help is greatly appreciated - JB"

Back