Logo

Broke Down on the 4th

gsxtasy

So we were out on the lake on

So we were out on the lake on the 4th and the boat was running great...we just got done sking so i turned off the engine to let him back in the boat. The boat then started up just fine but when i pushed the throttle forward all it did was rev up and the prop was spinning but with no force...any ideas on what could have broke? I have a mercruiser 135 HP inline 4 i/o

I was told today when i got it

I was told today when i got it out of the water from a guy at the marina that it could possibly be the pin in the prop...but if it is that I did find that pin on this site but I have no idea what size i will need...I have an 1988 Invader 165 16 1/2 foot ski boat

"If it overheats you broke the

"If it overheats you broke the coupler or upper drive shaft. If it dosent you broke a lower shaft below the impeller or if you use the Flo-Torque hub, you broke that.there is no so called shear pin on a I/O."

It didnt overheat that i know

It didnt overheat that i know of the temp gauge said it was about 150 degrees...so how would i go about finding the right lower shaft below the impeller?

"You probably did not break a

"You probably did not break a shaft. Remove the
prop and look at the rubber insert inside. If
it looks like is is "melted" around the outside
diameter or there are small pieces of rubber showing the hub is spun. It can be repaired.
If you have a spare prop, install it and test
run the boat. If no problem you have found the
culprit. If it still does not push the boat it
may be a spun coupler. Not good-requires removing the engine to fix."

"Chris, You said the prop was

"Chris, You said the prop was spinning, if so nothing is broke, where you full of weeds ?"

I wanted to thank all of you f

I wanted to thank all of you for all the replies so far...I am going to start working on this tonight...I wanted to add one more thing...when i did start it up and i put it in gear the last time it took off for a second then I did hear something break and then it just reved up so I turned it off. tsb nope I was in about 50 feet of water at the time it broke and there is nothing around the prop...I have it out of the water now...it usually stays in a slip.

"good luck hope we can help yo

"good luck hope we can help you as much as posible.. I hope its the nut that holds the prop on, it has 6 tabs that hold the prop nut from spinning off and only 3 can be bent down to hold it hopefully they are whats broke"

Back