Logo

Overheating Strangeness 57GXi

titanbry77

"Hey All great forum here!

"Hey All great forum here!

I noticed 3 weeks ago, a bit of water/moisture coming from my sea water pump also black soot from it getting on the serpentine belt and the engine running a touch hotter than normal(Volvo 5.7GXI), local shop said common on this motor, so I bought a new pump put it on, piece of cake also a new serpentine belt. All exact volvo parts and when the old impeller was removed it was in perfect shape.

Now here is where it's strange, I see no more moisture or water, but, the engine is still running a touch hotter, im still getting some black soot from the belt (not as much) and now..... If I'm running in the 2200-2800 RPM range, the Temp gauge starts shooting up, somtimes to the point of beeping and limiting RPM 200+ Deg.. Bringing it to an idle or getting her to run WOT, temp comes back down within seconds.??

I have no idea what is up, I can idle all day and the temp is fine, I can run near or at WOT and its fine, right in the cruise area, issues?? Could the tensioner be off or having problems at certain RPM etc?

Also I've read about the water hose connector, how do I test this, it seems this could be the issue, sucking air. Also on the freshwater flush it does not overheat."

"Ok thanks, I thought about th

"Ok thanks, I thought about that, do you think that with a bad thermostat though it would overheat all the time?

I'm not even sure where the thermostat is on this engine, I thought only the non-water cooled engines had thermostats (I'm not fully up on all the engine stuff haha)"

I have seen them where they ha

I have seen them where they have cracked and have problems working properly. Every water cooled engine should have a thermostat. I like to run them at 180 degrees.

"Hmm ok, I am not seeing in my

"Hmm ok, I am not seeing in my manual where a thermostat would be. This is a raw water cooled system would it still have one?

How would I check for air ingress somewhere? It has the freshwater flush nozzle at the engine, I don't need muffs."

I have a raw water cooled engi

I have a raw water cooled engine also. Normally your thermostat is at the top of your engine under the block where all your hoses go to. It should come with a new gasket also. If not make sure to get one!!! Make sure to completly clean the old off and not to get any in the engine. I stuff a rag in there when cleaning it. It wouldnt hurt to buy a can of permatex to put on the inside of the hoses when reinstalling. here is the site for your engine to show where it is. Number two is the thermostat. just paste the address on your browser. Good Luck. volvopentastore.com/Circulation_Pump_and_Thermostat/dm/cart_id.640982068--catego ry_id.332719--list_time.1215277645--session_id.177785134--store_id.366--view_id. 322342

"Hi Bryan I had a hairline cra

"Hi Bryan I had a hairline crack in the water intake hose in the sterndrive .Everything was fine until i got the boat on the plane about 2500 rpm instead of sucking in water it was sucking in air and motor would then overheat I now have no probelms since replacing the intake hose in the sterndrive and was not very expensive to replace,but you must take the leg of to get to the hose Hope this helps"

"Great thanks for all the info

"Great thanks for all the info. Peter that sounds just like my problem, how do you get to the hose and do you have a part number?"

Back