Logo

Mercruiser 260

deanza

Installed new carbs on my Merc

Installed new carbs on my Mercruiser 260 engines as the old ones were gummed up with stale fuel. Both engines start and run smooth. Starboard engine stalls as soon as I put it into gear. Engine would not start at all with the old carb. Any ideas?

Were your new carbs bolt on re

Were your new carbs bolt on ready or did you have to adjust them? Im thinking of getting a new one. How much did you pay and where did you go?

"Michael:

What did you do a

"Michael:

What did you do about the stale fuel? Add 1 can of SEA FOAM to the fuel tank for each 10 gallons. of gas.

Idle speed set too low, plugged fuel filters or like Ken R said; it may need adjustment. Take a picture of the port engine cutout assy. and carb cable connections to compare to the starboard engine."

"Hey Guys, thanks for the resp

"Hey Guys, thanks for the responses. The carbs came from I5 Auto ([email protected]) for $255 each. Very happy with this purchase.
Stale fuel was a small amount in each tank and as one of the engines was running on it we thought the best thing to do was to fill the tanks (68 gallons each) with premium gas and run it all through the system. Added some fuel treatment, I think it was Sta Bil and as I said the engines start and run fine. Have not changed the fuel/water seperators yet but did pump out a little gas from the bottom of each tank and it was clear.
I like the shift cable cut out switch idea, this makes sense to me and I will check it. Can you give me some idea how to adjust or replace?
Thanks again"

If its been sitting for a whil

If its been sitting for a while..ie: carbs gummed up...maybe the thru transom shift cable is seized or stiff. This would cause the engine to quit upon shift into gear as the rocker cutout switch stays in the cutout position. Try sending some lube of some sort down the cable. (may be corroded inside the cable. Good luck

"[b]"I like the shift cabl

""I like the shift cable cut out switch idea, this makes sense to me and I will check it. Can you give me some idea how to adjust or replace?"

Ayuh,....

That means the Switch Is in fact Working,....
It's the Cable that's causing the issue...
It needs Replacing,..."

Back