Logo

Engine block difference

hilltopper

"I recently purchased a 1986 M

"I recently purchased a 1986 Malibu with a 351W engine. It had freeze plugs out on both sides.
I was hoping for some good luck, I reinstalled the plugs, the engine started right up ran great, then when I turned it off checked oil, major water in the oil.
Sounds like it has cracked block, my question is what is the difference between automobile engine and a marine engine and if I go to salvage yard and purchase will they be the same or diffrent blocks. Everything else appears to be good on the boat motor, did not run engine but a few minutes, so what do I need to do to get it going, like a lot of people do not have funds to purchase a new rebuilt engine.

Also one more question I read a post on the forum about flooding engine, I was putting water in with a hose at back side of engine, I did not have hose wide open but was letting it run and only had it on when motor was running, can someone explain that to me, I saw the part about only sucking from a bucket but I did not know that at the time.

thanks a lot for any help or advice you might have."

Back