Logo

2006 yamaha 150

jimmar

"long story - short result - n

"long story - short result - need help. I may have made a costly mistake. I had covered the small hole to visually see the water pump working to keep out the wasps and forgot to remove it while operating.Operated for four to five hours with no problem then began to lose some power. Motor began to bog down and sounded a bit louder and somewhat tinny.The overheat alarm went off and i immediately thought about the tape. There was water coming through both sides from under the tape but certainly was restricted. I let things cool down for about 20 minutes and it restarted with no problem. i ran for another twenty minutes then shut down again to fish awhile, maybe an hour. Restarted again with no problem and motored for maybe five minutes at about 2000 rpm and motor abruptly stopped. Would not restart, motor cranks freely but will not fire. It was suggested that perhaps i have a vapor lock bcause of ethanol in the fuel. I was told by Sea Tow that a number of these motors are having vapor lock problems due to etanol in the fuel.The motor still will not fire the following day but again it cranks freely. I fear that i have done damage due to overheating. Any info or suggetions in these matters would be greatly appreciated."

"You can remove a vapor lock &

"You can remove a vapor lock (which can happen when an engine overheats) by undoing the fuel lines from the tank to the carbs,FI manifold. BUT, normally a vapor lock will undo itself once you have cooled down. Vapor lock happens when the fuel lines get so get so warm that the fuel inside turns to a gas. A gas can compress and will act like a brake within the line. Some times(if there is enough pressure) the fuel will not return to its liquid state even after the unit has cooled down. When this happens you have to pull the lines to clear them. BECAREFUL as you might have some pressure in the lines which could spray fuel out.

If you still can't get her running after pulling the lines then bleed the fuel pumps."

Back