Logo

260 alpha one slowly Over heat when over 3000 RPM

searay123

Contributing Member
If I run the boat less the 300

If I run the boat less the 3000 rpm the engine runs cool at 160. The Max the rpms it will go is around 4400 rpms . If I throttle up it will slowly get hotter and hotter . Any sugestions ? I have an 1997 260 alpha one with salt water cooled .

"barnacles in lower unit behin

"barnacles in lower unit behind screen,water pump base sucking air,impeller, water pocket cover leaking,hose between gimbal and transom collapsed internally,,power steering cooler clogged,thermostst housing clogged,manifolds/risers restricted,exaust flapper in Y pipe blocking flow,
Any maintenance history to report?"

Well its been in water for lik

Well its been in water for like a month . I will dive down see if barncles have built up . been running great . Over heated today and just slowed down abit and cooled right down .

"Bt Doctor:

You covered it

"Bt Doctor:

You covered it all but a loose/slipping circulating pump belt.
rain.gif
"

"That`s a STRETCH, have had mo

"That`s a STRETCH, have had more broken shafts in the circ pumps than belt troubles."

"Salt water cooled, and leavin

"Salt water cooled, and leaving it in the salt water... do you flush the engine after each use and leave it full of fresh water?

Otherwise, marine growth fouling."

"sure enough had some growth o

"sure enough had some growth on the lower unit , junning great again , any sugestions on growth problem . I have really no source of water on my mooring . How can I flush ."

Anti-fouling paint.

Flush w

Anti-fouling paint.

Flush w/a 5 gal. bucket containg fresh water or desalting solution and a hose connected to the OD w/muffs. You can buy a square bucket kit used for winterizing and just use it.

Back