Logo

1998 yamaha 115 hp saltwater series alarm goes off

R

ron t

My engine overheat alarm goes

My engine overheat alarm goes off and puts motor in safe mode. Put boat in shop was told that the oil injection system was bad. It was disconnected and now I premix. boat ran fine for a few days however when I get into choppy water it will go off again. tried reconnecting oil sensor wires and manually lifting float that did not shut off alarm.I also disconnected the wires to the thermal sensors to see if a bad sensor was triggering it and it still does it. The boat is definately not overheating. I can put my hands on the heads and they are not hot and water comes out the rear like a garden hose stream. Sometimes I get the alarm when I just turn the power on. But it mostly only happens in choppy water. in calm water it often runs on plane just fine.Any ideas

"I had a similar problem about

"I had a similar problem about a year and a half ago. In and out of the shop several times but no one could solve the problem (they thought they head but it kept reoccurring). Finally, a marine shop determined that the steering mechanism on the boat (Cobia center console) had worn through the ignition switch and when it shorted out the alarm would go off and the RPM limiter would kick in. Solution was a new ignition wiring harness ($700 installed)and some adjustment to my steering mechanism (so it wouldn't reoccur). Haven't had a problem since. Hope this gives you some direction as to possible solutions."

that is a weird one
if you pu

that is a weird one
if you pulled sensors off and alarm is still going off

CDI box

how can I tell if its a proble

how can I tell if its a problem with the cdi box or a short in the wiring harness and is there a way to bypass the wiring harness without cutting and resplicing all the wires

Back