Logo

2001 Yamaha 80hp 4 stroke

L

Lee E. Mnich

"I was cruising back in after

"I was cruising back in after fishing in the evening and hit something submerged in 12' of water, turned off and looked at prop and everything else and it all looked good. Started back up and water pump was good and strong and idled fine, went to put it in drive and could hardly budge the shifter / throttle. Got the boat towed back in and on trailer and there isn't a mark on the lower unit, I know I hit something because it caused the motor to kick up and stay in the up position. Is it possible to hit something with no visible evidence and mess up the lower unit inside?"

Yamaha lower unit are somewhat

Yamaha lower unit are somewhat fragile compared to other makes. Cheaper to replace as an assembly too.Check the oil for broken bits of gears / clutch dog.Have seen broken gear teeth from hitting submerged objects.

"Well my insurance company is

"Well my insurance company is saying they may not be covering my claim of hitting something because there is no marks on the bottom of the motor, adjuster says that the motor may have kicked up because the gears messed up inside. Now I think that is a bunch of crap and told him that is your opinion and I'll be taking it to the state board of insurance claims. I told him that if that happened like he says it did the lower gear case should have cracked and in MY opinion it wouldn't have caused the motor to jack out of the water the way it did. I know I hit something, I felt it. What's everyone else's opinion?"

"The tech tore the unit off an

"The tech tore the unit off and found that there is a pin in shaft that broke and when it did that it messed up all the gears. He said the pin never breaks on it's own and the prop has to hit something for it to break, makes me feel somewhat better but there is no damage to the prop and now I have to get it through the insurance company's head that I did hit something. The tech even said it's highly possible to hit a log, turtle or anything else soft and not leave a mark on the prop but damage that pin."

"I've had the motor for a

"I've had the motor for a year and it runs great but about 3 weeks ago I hit something submerged and pushed the whole motor out of the water and stay up, after doing an inspection there was no visible damage so I put back in water and started it. The water pump was still pumping good water so I just let it run for a bit to make sure everything was ok. I went to go put in gear and it wouldn't budge. Long story short I took it to the dealer to get looked at and at the same time called insurance company because I hit something submerged so it should be covered. The dealer tore it apart and found out that all the gears in it are totally shot. Well because there is NO visible damage to the lower unit the insurance department denied my claim saying damage do to pinion gear failure. If I hit something that made the motor come out of the water (2 witnesses) would that break the pinion gear which in turn would totally ruin the all the gears and at the same time not leave a mark on it?
Edit/Delete Message"

Back