Logo

1989 Yamaha 115hp Issues

J

jdkeeper

"Starts and idles fine but sto

"Starts and idles fine but stops suddenly with no coughing or warning at all. Just had carbs flaps adjusted by mechanic yesterday because they were not closing all the way, installed new filters, new fuel/water separater, adjusted choke assembly. Mechanic rebuilt carbs last year and I cleaned them again this year thinking it was fuel issue. used xtra 3 gallon tank with clean gas and same thing happened so I don't think its my gas. it's gotta be something?}"

Do you have a manaul? Does it

Do you have a manaul? Does it run out or will it not move off idle? I think it's not the carb. it's sounds electrical. I would start with the key/kill switch right after it dies and see if you got power.

"Sounds a bit like a stator go

"Sounds a bit like a stator going bad. Often times it will run fine until the engine starts to warm up - one the copper windings heat up, any issue with them will result in a loss of continuity which results in no power to the powerpacks/coils.

Simple way to test - remove the stator leads from the powerpack(s) - test with an ohm meter - should have good continuity (minimal resistance) - then use a blow drier to heat up the flywheel and see if you lose continuity - if you do, replace the stator.

If not, try the same test with the trigger leads - either component could be the culprit..."

"i think 180vt150hpyamahprov h

"i think 180vt150hpyamahprov hit the nail on the head with the kill switch. It was a loose connection on the ground wire to the kill switch. Although i only ran it in the driveway, it didn't stall once in about 15 minutes. THANKS. Now the new issue, it is running fine and all of a sudden there is a 'miss' or a 'cough' but it does not stall. It just keeps doing it over and over again and again and when it does, it lets out a little white smoke down by the propeller. Appreciate all the help,} guys"

Back