Logo

Correct 2stroke oil

rogershuff

I have bought a boat with a 19

I have bought a boat with a 1999 Tohatsu 8hp 2-stroke engine. Any reason why I can't use good quality motorcycle 2-T oil as it is hard to get hold of marine 2-T oil in this area? Thanks

"Thanks for the quick/smart re

"Thanks for the quick/smart reply. I know how engines work and have used and serviced loads of 2 and 4 cycle motorcycle engines. As the oil is premixed with the fuel, I'm interested to know what the difference can be? A semi-technical response would be useful. I will bin the bike oil if given a good reason (I haven't tried it yet)"

"I'm sure they'll advi

"I'm sure they'll advise their own brand but judging by the useful replies you have given on this forum in the past I'm sure you have an opinion. If you are unable to answer due to connections with Tohatsu, I understand, but many owners must use generic oil and I can't see why a high-quality generic oil not actually labeled 'Marine' can be inappropriate. Are you able to give a technical/scientific reply? Does non-marine oil deteriorate in contact with a salt-laden environment? It will save me a long trip to track down the 'real' thing! I don't plan to use motor-mower oil!"

"Tohatsu at 972-323-6003...The

"Tohatsu at 972-323-6003...They are paid to answer your questions in detail. I simply tell people yes, no and maybe and put them on the path. You don't want that. You want someone to tell you W H Y and I don't do that on internet forums."

"Roger,
I have always heard

"Roger,
I have always heard that marine oil has additives to stop gelling in wet conditions. Outboards are mostly in wet conditions. I personally have always used Quicksilver/Mercury oil in my engines. I buy it at wall-mart. But one thing that I have heard recently is to not use synthetic oil in older engines. My newest engine is 1996 so I don't know what older means. Be safe and get merine oil, it's cheap enough...

Mark"

Back