Logo

New Yamaha 150 Stalls when shifting

ksgoldman

"I have a new Yamaha 150 EFI 4

"I have a new Yamaha 150 EFI 4 Stroke (2006 engine but just launched for the first time in April this year along with my '06 leftover 2101 DC). The engine was just in for a 20 hour service. While bringing the boat in to the dock I noticed that it stalled for the first time when I shifted very, very, very slowly from neutral to forward. The engine started right back up but I asked the dealer to check it out (they are a Yamaha dealer and have Yamaha's highest rating for service). The service manager told me that it's not that unusual since the motor is designed to lower the idle when shifting to prevent causing transmission problems when shifting from forward to reverse or vice versa. They supposedly checked it out and said nothing was wrong.

After picking the boat up from the 20 hour service, I had the same problem when shifting very, very, very slowly from idle to reverse.

The service manager told me that I needed to give it a bit more gas when shifting (which doesn't seem right). I would think that I should be able to shift into gear and give it gas as slowly as I'd like (which is not how it's operating).

The engine runs perfectly other than that.

Any ideas would be appreciated. I do trust the dealer but don't like his answer.

Thanks,

Ken Goldman"

Outboards do not like this &#3

Outboards do not like this " granny shifting " ----You are supposed to shift with a quick firm motion.Shifting slowly / easing it into gear is a bad thing for the clutch dog.You may have to have the idle speed bumped up a bit as well.

Back