Logo

Advice for repairs on Alpha One Gen 1 SD

roland_deschain

"My boat is an '88 Wellcra

"My boat is an '88 Wellcraft 170 bowrider with the 3.0L inline-4 and gen. 1 Alpha One stern drive.

The local auth'd service center dropped the drive last week and came back with a $3k repair estimate for replacing the following:

All three bellows
shift cable
water pump impeller
gimbal bearing
u-joints, including the short yoke

I'm no stranger to mechanics, having done several automotive timing belt / water pump jobs. I've got a decent air compressor and a good set of both air and hand tools.

Amazon just delivered me the Clymer shop manual for the drive, and I'm prepared to replace these components myself over the next couple weeks (as I have time).

My questions for you guys:

1. What's the best place for ordering parts / tools? I've looked at mercruiserparts.com as well as mercstuff.com, but I'd like to hear some recommendations from other DIYers.

2. What specialty tools will I *need* to buy? I'm thinking a slide hammer for sure, but what about things like the bellows expander, drive nut retainer wrench, alignment tool, etc?

3. My dad had a 3-blade SS prop installed that measures 14.5" x 22 pitch. Needless to say, my holeshot sucks because it's overpropped. Can anyone weigh in on the best prop configuration for pulling skiiers and general cruising? Top end speed means nothing to me.

Thanks up front, fellas!"

"Try this site for parts or ou

"Try this site for parts or outdrives.com

Your tool list sounds about right.
You will also need the mounting gasket set along with your other parts.
Most on this site will recommend you stay with Merc parts for reliability, though aftermarket parts are available and mostly pretty good.

I think you would be better off with about a 19" pitch prop. Your local shop will likely let you try out 2 or 3 different props.

Rod"

Makes you wonder
Boot kit $20

Makes you wonder
Boot kit $200
shift cbl $70
wp kit $50
U joints $85
Yoke 75
Maybe 6 hrs labor
I`ll do it for $2000.00
gotta wonder where they get their pricing from.

"Going that far and with a dri

"Going that far and with a drive that old, I'd replace every gasket and seal on the drive. Could save another lengthy repair in the future.

I've used mercruiserparts.com a number of times and have always had good service with them."

""Top end speed means noth

""Top end speed means nothing to me."

Aluminum 4 blade prop will jump out of the water, is cheaper than SS to buy and repair."

Back