Logo

Freeze out plugs help

P

Pumpy1

"I installed a new sea water p

"I installed a new sea water pump today in my 5.7 Bravo 3, all went as planned. Took it out for a crusise, noticed that water was streaming out of the port side of the engine, turns out to be coming from one of the freeze out plugs behind the manifold. Why would this fail? is it an easy fix? and most importantly, can I run the boat with some of this water coming out of the hole?"

"It could have failed due to f

"It could have failed due to freezing or maybe wasn't installed right, etc. they are easy to change
once you have access to em. I usually use a drift
and hammer only on one side until it turns in the bore the grab with vise grips and pull out.
Clean the bore and use a socket that just fits inside the plug and hammer in place until flush.
I also use red locktite on my applications.

kurt"

"I think they fail because the

"I think they fail because they can. Perhaps you had a light freeze. Some just fail when they get old with no obvious or determined reason. Rust? Corrosion?
Easy fix? Well, if it has ready access they can be replaced fairly easy - a little loctite and a block of wood and a rubber mallet and you have seated a replacement. Get a marine grade replacement. Not all are located such that they can be replaced without removing a lot of stuff, or even pulling the engine.
Whether you can run the boat for a while before fixing I cannot say - depends on the amount of water, your bilge pump capacity, and just how much risk you are willing to take getting stranded or doing more damage trying to get back to shore."

"For a temporary fix, I'm

"For a temporary fix, I'm going to try Marine Tex, then when I have time, pull off the manifold and everything else in the way and replace it."

Back