Logo

AQ125A bellhousing bearing etc

M

mark lewis

"I hate to beat a dead horse b

"I hate to beat a dead horse but I have read previous posts until my head is swimming...so somebody please put it in lamens terms for me. I have an AQ125A w/ a 270 leg on a 1983 19.5' bayliner. Last trip out noticed a whiney,semi grindy,small vibratory thing going on when turning to port at higher speeds(nothing going straight or to starboard).So having read multiple posts I have plans on pulling engine and drive(or possibly just upper gear housing) and servicing u-joints and bearings.So heres the questions:
1. If I pull the engine am I going to find 2 bearings to replace...one on the end of the crankshaft(main bearing?) and one in the bellhousing(intermediate bearing?)if so how many new seals do I need to purchase...cause maybe I'm ignorant but I can't seem to find one exploded view from where the u-joints connect all the way to the crankshaft.BTW when I noticed the noise I whipped out the grease gun and put several squirts into the zerk on top of the bellhousing with no change.so maybe the u-joints are to blame?
2.As for the u-joints I plan on removing and replacing with some that have a zerk for future lube(from an auto parts house I hope).
Bottom line I would like to order seals and such for when I actually tear down and I'm leary of ordering the wrong stuff cause I'm unsure of part #'s etc. and not be able to put back together cause I don't have everything I should. As far as the bearings I hope to get them locally through a bearing supplier. Any info would be greatly appreciated!"

P.S. what would you recommend

P.S. what would you recommend for an all purpose sealant for anything around the drive etc...I have seen reference to "perfect seal" quite alot. If thats the good stuff where can you get it online?

"the [url=""]www.volvopentasto

"the www.volvopentastore.com has a parts list an exploded view for the housing . I found a supplier on ebay for the big end bearing and housing bearing for aq series . Seals were included. The smaller seal on the u-joint side needs to be pulled or pressed through the housing not from the end . I couldn't see that the end of the housing has a small lip to retain the seal. Trying to pull it with a seal tool wouldn't work, so I thought pressing it out would but ended up chipping part of the housing."

Thank you! If I am gonna order

Thank you! If I am gonna order parts from doug russell...their site doesn't give an option for a 125A only a 125B...is it the same stuff? Also on the second link El gave me I see part 37... if I pull the engine is that an item(s) that must be replaced?

"The rubber rings 37 are norma

"The rubber rings 37 are normally reusable, but you may want to verify first that they are in good shape. Also, the parts you are looking for should be the same for the AQ125A and AQ125B."

Back