Logo

Starting to work on the boat

knehdn

Contributing Member
"I have a Mercruiser 228 outdr

"I have a Mercruiser 228 outdrive s/n 4795279(has lifting eye on top) with a Mercruiser 228 engine s/n 4767629. 1977/78 by what info I've been able to find so far. The sterndrive came off surprisingly easy. Do I need to remove the housing to which it was attached in order to remove the engine? How would I check the bellows, bearings, etc? There doesn't seem to be a way to remove this housing. It swivels up and down, but that's it.
I tried attaching a photo or two, but can't get them small enough for the program.
Thanks for all advise and input.
Gabe."

You are going to need a manual

You are going to need a manual.
Either subscribe to the Seloc or download what you need using Bondo's handy backdoor link.

Rod

"Thanks Rod. I guess I'll

"Thanks Rod. I guess I'll need to subscribe... tried to download, but to no avail.
Gabe"

"The engine will come out with

"The engine will come out without removing the transom assembly; but the drive did need to come out.

Visually inspect the bellows for holes and deterioration. Poke with your fingers.

Reach in and turn the gimbal bearing with your fingers. Any sign of roughess or stiffness indicates it needs changing.

There is lots else you need to know. You need to get a manual. I could email the manual, but the files are too darn big to email.

Rod"

Gabe:

Try eBay for the year

Gabe:

Try eBay for the year and model engine and OD. They are separate Merc. factory manuals. About $25. The factory manuals are not full of the extra crap to cover several models.

Back