Logo

Boat pulls to the left

atilla_boy

Regular Contributor
I have heard that it does this

I have heard that it does this cause the little fin thing thats hangs down from the cavatation plate is gone off my outdrive it has been this way since i bought the boat and has pulled to the left the whole time. sorry i can't thing of what its call but how do you figure out which one will fit... I have an Alpha one with a 14.5 by 21 pitch S.S. prop.. please help. there are so many different sizes avalible...

"A boat tourqes to the left, t

"A boat tourqes to the left, thats why driver on right. That little skeg doesn't do much. but can help with drift. Mine broke off! If you have gear
on board and it only occurs when alone or with another passenger, try shifting it around. I would also check boat bottom with strait edge looking for a hook etc. on one side. maybee a soft spot caves at speed? Just food for thought.
kurt"

"If you have power steering yo

"If you have power steering you should not need the aluminum trim fin. (The skeg is the fixed painted part that hangs down from the bottom of the lower gear case)
If no PS, a trim fin will help to compensate for torque steer; you should replace it. They are cheap and available at any dealer.
They also help to reduce drive leg corrosion.
Note that to correct for left steer, you turn the fin to the left. Yes, that is correct; to the left. It is trial and error.

Rod"

"yeah I know about how to set

"yeah I know about how to set it just not sure which one to get there are so many sizes and the dealer is too far to pull the boat an hour and a half one way just to see which one fits. Here is a pic of it before the new skeg protector

192320.jpg

192321.jpg
"

Ok; that's an Alpha One 19

Ok; that's an Alpha One 1983 to 1990 era.
All you have to do is tell the dealer yoon need a trim tab for that model.

Rod

When my trim tab was snapped o

When my trim tab was snapped off ( no known reason why ) low speed steering was almost impossible - backing was even worse and dangerous. I almost backed sideways into neighbors boat immediately after pulling out of my slip. High speed steering was no problem.
New trim tab immediately corrected the steering problems. And I do have power steering. Trim tabs are only about $15.

"ok thank you so there is no d

"ok thank you so there is no difference in the long ones vs. the short one and the dealer will know what I need.... thank you again
thumbs_up.gif
"

"The standard trim tab will do

"The standard trim tab will do fine unless you have a prop with a lot of rake; in which case you may need the trim tab with the smaller fin.

Your prop looks like it will clear a standard tab just fine.

The reason they break is most often due to a piece of driftwood getting caught up between the prop and the tab; and bingo, she is gone. That is also what mostly causes loss of cavitation plate chunks near the aft end, usually on the port side.

Rod

Rod"

If you plan on someday getting

If you plan on someday getting a different prop you may want to go with the extended version to allow for a raked prop. You can use the extended trim tab on a standard prop but not the other way around.

Back