Logo

Aluminum heads on iron block

gearhead

I have a 1986 chris craft with

I have a 1986 chris craft with a Gen I Chevy 350. I would like to put aluminum heads on it. I can't afford new aftermarket heads. i was wondering if there were any cars that had aluminum heads that i could use. I know the Chevy LT1 Camaro had aluminum heads but i don't know if that will bolt up to my older block. Any advice would be welcome.

Do a Google search on small bl

Do a Google search on small block chevy engines and you will find a host of forums that deal with them. Somewhere someone will know about this and whether it can be done.

Rod

"Yes, pro-comp heads, 64cc com

"Yes, pro-comp heads, 64cc combustion chambers,
2.02 int. valves, 1.94 exhaust and 190cc intake runners. A pair can be had for around 600 bucks and can usually be found on ebay;)
also the L98 5.7 chevy, found on 1986 to around 1992 camaro firebird or corvette can be used.
Not all had aluminum heads but they were common.
Kurt

P.S. with a rebuild of those your bettor off going pro comp. And pro comp has bronze guides that marine heads also use, and ss valves!"

"Ayuh,....

Dollar for Dolla

"Ayuh,....

Dollar for Dollar,...

You Can't Beat a set of cast iron Chevy factory Vortec heads.....

25/ 30hp, right outta the box,..

This is a Boat......
You don't see alot of Aluminum heads on Boats for Many reasons...."

"thanks to everyone for the ad

"thanks to everyone for the advice. Bondo, can you elaborate on why you don't see aluminum heads of boats. Those iron heads weight a ton, that can't be good for handling or fuel economy. I know my way around an import engine very well but this is my first time working on a American made engine. On the engines I'm used to, Light weight and good machining are key to a well running, fuel efficient engine. Why doesn't this apply to boats. As Kurt said, if i get the Pro comp heads they have the same valve guides and SS valves that marine heads have. Is there a problem just because they are aluminum? Please keep in mind that I'm not arguing with you. I'm really just trying to understand."

"It isn't a problem if you

"It isn't a problem if you have a closed cooling system like in your car which circulates a water/antifreeze mix. Dissimilar metals like aluminum and cast iron in contact with salty seawater and even some high mineral content lake water sets up potential for galvanic corrosion.
Just like an aluminum drive unit and stainless steel conponents in the drive. That's why there are zinc (or aluminum) anodes on the drive, to sacrifice them selves rather than the aluminum of the drive unit gearcases. Also some potential
problems with the different heat expansion ratios of alum and cast iron. That's why the old
3.7L Merc engines had closed cooling from the
factory - alum block and cast iron heads."

"[b]"I know my way around

""I know my way around an import engine very well but this is my first time working on a American made engine."

Ayuh,...
So you must understand the relationship of moving the Air through a motor,...
Most boat motors breathe through Really restrictive Exhaust....
Boat motors also usually top out at about 4800/ 5000rpms, for longevity...

Google up the Chevy Vortec Heads,+ what they can do,...
2.02 Intakes,+ 1.94 exhaust valves aren't what it takes to build Torque, down Low.....

I guess it comes down to the Money,...
Waste it on aluminum heads, or use Better cast iron heads,+ dump the Money into the Gas Tank...
My tank needs Gas more than my motor needs aluminum heads..."

Back