Logo

Temperatue Issue

gybe24

I have a 1995 Sundancer with a

I have a 1995 Sundancer with a 7.4L Bravo 3. I found some info on this site about the temp not registering properly. Mine shows about 100 degrees. I have replaced the thermostat with a new 160 degree. My issue is the location of the sender. There are 2 wires coming off the thermostat housing. They seem to be sensors on both sides of the housing. I don't understand why and I don't know which one is the sensor/sender. I know that the flow is OK because I can feel the thermo housing warming and cooling on a regular basis. Any help would be appreciated.

"One is the temp sender and th

"One is the temp sender and the other is a high temp switch for the alarm. The latter is wired with a single tan/blue wire.

Something sounds out of whack because you should be seeing a temp more like your T'stat temp; ie 160-170 F. You may have a shot gauge or sender.
You should borrow an infrared temp gun and verify that your engine temps are where they should be, then troubleshoot your gauge and sender.

Rod"

"Is the boat over heating unde

"Is the boat over heating under a load condition?, if not, then when you replaced the the t stat housing be sure that the gasket under the thermostat housing has a proper ground. There is a little brass ring on the t stat gasket which allows it to be grounded to the block. If this is not grounded properly to the block you will get a false reading, or possibly no reading. You can check to see if the temp gauge has continuity by grounding the sender to the block. If you see the gauge needle pin to the "hot section " then the wiring to the gauge and the gauge is also ok. (By the way if the gauges are teleflex, you can access teleflex online and talk to a teck there, if you feel the gauge is the issue.)"

"Sometimes just disconnecting

"Sometimes just disconnecting the wires, pulling the sensors, then cleaning all the contact areas of the wires and sensors is what it takes to obtain a good strong signal to the gauge."

Back