Logo

125 AQ Oil panETC

617mike

"I've been chasing demons

"I've been chasing demons on this engine for about a year now:eek:il leak,overheat,alternator bracket seized...Any way I removed pan yesterday,outside of pan was a rusty,epoxied mess.Inside looked OK?Could I have tiny holes in pan or perhaps was it leaking @ gasket all along,hmmm.Replacing with a much nicer pan anyway.For whatever it's worth I didn't have to pull engine to get at pan on my '82 Trophy Fisherman.
On install of pan:6-8 lbs torque.
RTV on pan to gasket.
Permatex on bolts.
Any other words of wisdom on the replacement pan install?

On the overheating:I'm going to follow the punch list from Drew's post(s)earlier this week and see how that all goes...Last year the bottom bolt,that the alternator pivots on,was seized.I couldn't put much tension on it and I think it affected how the circulating(fresh water/anti-freeze)pump was working(yes,it was that loose).I tried many things but eventually I came upon removing bracket(and alternator)from engine block and drilling out back of bolt.That worked!And now I have tension on alternator belt.
I also replaced water pump on the raw water side.I hope(and pray)that after all of the above and the punch list I will have erradicted overheating and back pressure(restricted flow problem)as well.
I'm out to start today's efforts to get back out on the water."

"my pan didn't have any vi

"my pan didn't have any visable holes, but when I filled it up with water and let it sit there was a small pinhole leak. I used that red gasket holder stuff instead of rtv."

Back