Logo

Water in fuel

mrgrumpy

"I made the mistake of not fil

"I made the mistake of not filling the fuel tank on my 260 searay when I winterised the 5.0ltr Thunderbolt. Now the boat is back in the water I'm finding impossible to keep it running unless it's being reved quite hard i.e. 2500+ rpm. My guess is that I have water(condensation) in the fuel tank. What should I do to cure the problem, apart from changing the fuel filter? . Is there something else I should be looking for and are there any tips I should be aware of when changing the filter. Thanks in advance."

How much fuel is in the tank?

How much fuel is in the tank? Was it previously filled with E-10? Did it have stabilizer added prior to layup?

"You don't half to top up

"You don't half to top up the tank to store it. With E10 fuel, you might as well leave it empty. The fuel has aweful shelf life compared to older recipes.

Consider draining a gallon or so from the bottom of the tank. Any water that has settled will be there. You might also empty the carb by taking the top off or running it dry at the least. Be careful. Dump the mix at a gas station or where ever as if it was waste oil.

If the tank is half full, top it up with good fuel. The mediocre fuel should dilute and be good. Obviously change the filter."

The tank is now 3/4 full but w

The tank is now 3/4 full but was almost empty when she was winterised. There was no fuel additive used.

"You may need carb work.
It s

"You may need carb work.
It sounds like you may have some crud plugging off your low speed fuel circuit in the carb.
If the filter and new fuel don't fix the problem, that is where I would look next.

Rod"

Add a can of STARTRON fuel add

Add a can of STARTRON fuel additive to the tank. It is supposed to keep the water molecules from joining into a mass and thereby burn easily w/the fuel.

Back