Logo

AQ225E dies when warm

pez

"I have a 1987 Volvo AQ225 tha

"I have a 1987 Volvo AQ225 that runs like a champ until it gets warmed up, once the engine is up to normal operating temps it dies and will not start until it cools down.
I have changed the Condenser/Points/Coil but the more I think about it sounds like a fuel issue.
I changed the fuel filter and thought I had nailed the problem and got about two miles from shore when it dies again.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
Chris
<font face=""arial,helvetica""></font>}"

"Try to run the engine from a

"Try to run the engine from a gas jerrycan instead of from the fuel tank and see how it goes. If it runs well, probably the anti-syphon valve in the fuel tank line is stuck/choked.

Have you also checked the fuel fine filter inside the carb?

Also, when the engine dies, you can hotwire the + of the coil from the + of the battery and see if it starts. If it does, then you have an electrical problem (wiring).

You could also have a defective ignition coil.

You should also consider getting rid of the points and condenser and install a Pertronix electronic ignition kit. I'm 100% confident you will be extremely pleased with the results."

"Thanks I didn't think of

"Thanks I didn't think of that anti-syphon valve that gives me something to look at along with the wiring.
Re-wiring the boat is my winter project for 08-09 I'm hoping I dont have to start early
uhoh.gif

I did check out the filter in the carb and that was good.

Ya I have looked at the Ignitor kits I may have to bump that up on my list.
Thanks!
Chris"

"I once bought a very nice boa

"I once bought a very nice boat (Bertram 25!) that was sold cheap because it had the same problem with one of its engines. It turned out that the engines had carbs with chokes and the thermostatic coil spring that moved the choke plate was installed backward...i.e., it closed when hot, causing the engine to behave badly and stall. The previous mechanic had billed the owner some serious buck for rebuilding the carbs on both engines, two months before.. To check for this.. when it stalls, remove the flame arrestor and look down the throttle bore. Choke should be open."

Back