Logo

Will Bravo 1 drive fit onto Alpha one transom assembly

"I am starting my motor swap o

"I am starting my motor swap of 4.3 liter merc to 5.7 350 Magnum and am wondering if I even need to take my transom assembly off, will the bravo drive mate up to the alpha transom? Thanks guys!"

"no.transom assemblies are dif

"no.transom assemblies are different....you could just buy a 1.47 ratio Alpha drive or just buy the upper, and reuse your lower unit. Or you can even take your upper in and get it regeared.
Bayliner doesn't even show a V6 in that boat, just a 3.0...did it come with the 4.3?
I have an 1851 with a 3.0 and am on the fence about whether to go V6 or V8....I would like a 5.7..it feels like it would be quite safe with it"

"Are you sure everything is di

"Are you sure everything is different from the bravo transom assembly to the alpha assembly,serial # is OW762988 on the transom assembly. I think the the only differences are shift lever,bell housing, gimbal ring/bearing. are the drive oil connections the same, trim sensors the same? How about where the drive face mates up the the transom assembly? Guy, are you out there? You who are wise in the ways of aquatic recreation power assemblies."

"I am sorry Hy Stat, i did not

"I am sorry Hy Stat, i did not mean to offend you, its just I have been talking to Guy Gasper for the past month about the problems I had with my 4.3 liter, and he already knows my situtation, and yes, I didnt know you could Private Message someone. ONce again, my apologies , j.d."

"Why do you want a BRavo drive

"Why do you want a BRavo drive anyway?
The Alpha is good for 300 shaft hp, and its lighter, esier to maintain, etc.

I am running a Gen II Alpha with my 350 crank hp 6.2 MPI, and so far so good.

Rod"

"Rod- I got the motor, transom

"Rod- I got the motor, transom,drive for 3,000. So might as well put it all back together the same way it came out of the boat that it came out of. Yes, that makes ense to use a alpha being a lighter drive unit and all....but I would have to send it off to get the gear ratio changed to a 1.50 so that it would be right with the 350 magnum motor I am putting in. So basically, I am using everything together the way it came from the people I bought it from. Plus, my wife says we have to sell the 4.3liter with the transom,and the drive all together so we can get some of our money back from the world's craziest boat owning adventure ever."

"JD;
Understood now.
I agree

"JD;
Understood now.
I agree; what you are doing does make the most sense.
The good news is you wont have to drill different holes in your transom to switch to the Bravo transom assembly.

The Bravo uses a belt driven seawater pump and has no pump impeller in the drive leg. What will you do for water supply to the pump?
You can either use the leg as pump supply, or a better bet is to install a thru hull pickup.

Rod"

"[b]"Are you sure everythi

""Are you sure everything is different from the bravo transom assembly to the alpha assembly,"

Ayuh,....

You can Not mount a Bravo drive to an Alpha transom assembley,....
Nor can you mount an Alpha drive to a Bravo transom assembley....

They are Very Different...."

"JD:

I'm still around.

"JD:

I'm still around. But, I must admit I am not as saavy as the other boys on outdrives and engine internals and swaps. I'm just know the basics about my 4.3L and how to troubleshoot electrical problems and some mechanical ones."

Back