Logo

Outdrive compatibility

sduckworth

"Hello everyone
I have an 81

"Hello everyone
I have an 81 SeaRay with 260hp(350) and 260 outdrive (ser no.5842077). My question is this.
Will all 260,M,MR,Alpha1 Gen1 drives interchange? I am getting some water in lower and figure the whole unit needs re-sealed. Just wondering if it might make sense to replace with a new or re-built Alpha one unit. My lower unit housing has some battle damage.

Thanks in advance"

"Yours is the model 1 drive, a

"Yours is the model 1 drive, and it's not interchangeable with the later R drives or Alpha Ones.

The newer drives have a longer spline shaft and will be too long for the older couplers, for one thing.

If you want to change to a newer drive you would have to change the whole transom assembly as well as the engine bellhousing. The spacing of the mounting lugs is different from the older style.

You should probably just get yours resealed or see if you can pick up a good used one on ebay or wherever.

Rod"

"Just so I understand, mine ha

"Just so I understand, mine has a shorter shaft than say a alpha 1? My splined shaft measures 9 9/16" from the base of yoke to end of shaft. I was under the impression that was the same as newer units."

"I just went out and measured

"I just went out and measured the input shaft on a brand new Alpha GEn II that I have on my bench, and it measures 9-1/2". So yours sounds like the same length.

I am going by information in a Clymer manual that I have that covers 1964-1985 Mercs. It appears to be wrong in that regard. Sorry about that.

There is also a difference in the gasket where the water passage from the drive leg joins to the gimbal assembly. The older drives seem to use a reactangular shaped pasage hole; whereas the newer drives use a circular O ring. What does your drive have? My book does not indicate what year the change was made.

This is not likely an insurmountable problem anyway.

Rod"

"Ok, I have a round hole with

"Ok, I have a round hole with o ring...bout 1 inch in dia. Does this mean that an Alpha 1 style would work?

By the way, thanks for your help in matter."

It sounds like you have a late

It sounds like you have a later version model 1.
Does it have the lifting eye on top of the upper case?

I think the only way to know for sure would be to lay your drive alongside an Alpha One and do a detailed check on both for any differences.
Unless someone else on the site knows for sure one way or the other.

I have never tried to fit an Alpha One to an older drive transom assembly.

Rod

"[b]"Will all 260,M,MR,Alp

""Will all 260,M,MR,Alpha1 Gen1 drives interchange?"

Ayuh,....

They are Plug & Play swaps,....

The Shaft Length only comes into play with the old In-line motors which use the 8" shafts....
You can use the New style Gaskets on the Old gimbel housing for the Swap...."

"Nice to hear from ya Bondo!

"Nice to hear from ya Bondo! Where ya been hiding during the engine swap war? Vacation?
sun.gif
"

"[b]"Nice to hear from ya

""Nice to hear from ya Bondo! Where ya been hiding during the engine swap war? Vacation? "

Ayuh,... Vacation,..?? Vacation,...
What the 'ell is That,.....

It's Blacktop,+ Boatin' Season,......Busy, Busy, Very Busy....
wink.gif
"

Back