Logo

Delay when dropping the hammer

tchadwick36

I have a Mercruiser 3.0L that

I have a Mercruiser 3.0L that when I drop the hammer it is not taking off quickly. Also sometimes at idle it dies. It did this the first time I took it out for the season this year. Its carburated and the carb. seems clean and not varnished. Could it just be old gas? I put in a pint of Marine Foam and filled the tank with Super unleaded (92 octane). I need it to be able to pull up an adult skiier.

"If its a 2 bbl Mercarb they a

"If its a 2 bbl Mercarb they are known for a bog or hesitation on acceleration. I don't beleive there is a fix, but hopefully others will chime in if they have had success.

Rod"

""Also sometimes at idle i

""Also sometimes at idle it dies."

Carb. is probably a little dirty. That's all it takes to throw it off. Accelerator pump may be worn. Plugs dirty?

Pull the top off the carb, replace the accel. pump, check the float level and fill the carb bowl w/SEA FOAM. Put the top back on it and pump the accelerator 2-3 times. Let it sit overnight. Internal carb parts will be clean in the morning. Start and adj. mixture, timing and idle--adjust to 650 but readjust in the water in forward tied to the dock."

I checked the plugs. They are

I checked the plugs. They are dry and light black color. The plugs are pretty new. Accel. pump? Dont even know where to find that. Dont know how to check the float level.

"Your engine is running on the

"Your engine is running on the RICH fuel side. Can you adjust the mixture screw(s) by engine RPM or by "ear"? It needs to be a little leaner.
CLEAN the plugs.

W/the engine warm, VERY SLOWLY turn the mixture screw in until the engine begins to stumble; make a mental not of the screw position. VERY SLOWLY turn the screw out until it begins to stumble again; compare this position of the screw w/the first and turn the screw half way in between."

"Guy, I wish you lived by me I

"Guy, I wish you lived by me I'd by you a steak dinner, You along with a few others provide new guys like me with alot of valubale advice.

Thanks a Ton. D.Lux"

"David:

It's our pleasu

"David:

It's our pleasure to help anyone. I live in Hamilton, OH; dinner not necessary. I'm happy when we help someone."

Back