Doing some maintenence PLEASE HELP

• Thread starter CharlesBasowski
  • Start date
C

CharlesBasowski

"Hello All,

I have a '9

"Hello All,

I have a '97 Glastron GS185 (Volvo/Penta 4.3GL 190hp V6 with an SX drive.

Im looking through my Seloc manual, and for the life of me i cant find the correct Synthetic Oil for my motor as well as the correct grease for my drive.
They say to use a SAE 30 for my motor but the DuraPlus brand they talk about is nonexistant.

If anyone knows please help me.

The Manual gives recomendations of some oils that are harder to find than Osama Bin Laden."

"Oil manufacturers change thei

"Oil manufacturers change their products all the time. What is important..
If they say...SAE 30 HD... use that.. period
If they say...SAE 25W40.. (as my engine does)
and you can't find 25W40, then you can substitute any XW40, where X can be anything.. ( unless you live in Alaska or the Upper Michigan area or Canada and run your engine in the dead of winter.
The first number is the viscosity of the oil when its very cold, while the other number, i.e. 40 in my example, is the viscosity when hot. This is the critical number. Using a 20W40 when it calls for 10W40 will make it a bit harder to turn over when very cold. BTW.. I'm in NJ and use 10W40 in the engine and drive. Another critical factor is the "grade" info, which are some alphabet soup of a couple or three letters. You can use heavier grade, but nor lighter... Especialy important for diesels. Re: Synthetic Oil Brands... Don't buy a cheap or "house branded" oil, get a name brand that meets the grade."

Back