Logo

Exhaust shutter needed or not

sam72692

"first, thanks to all for the

"first, thanks to all for the help with the problems with this 3.7L. this motor is killing the wallet but i like the that little sucker. found my milky oil to be rot holes in the exhaust elbow, leaking raw water back into an open valve. someone here pointed me in this direction. it is all back together and seems fine on the muffs, will be putting in the water this affternoon and we will see how she goes. I am kinda new to this I/O thing but learned alot right here. So another question, exhaust shutters...are they needed or not? mine is gone and i was going to order one and replace it but was told i don't need it. i intend to water test the boat without it but just wondering if this is a bad idea. what do you all say?
thanks scott s"

"Yes! when you slow down or st

"Yes! when you slow down or stop in a boat a wake
then comes up behind the boat and hits the stern
and said pressure will send water through the exhaust and into the engine via an open valve.
the only thing that stops this from occuring is flappers. They are cheap, and will save alot of
loot in the short run. A hydrolock of a cylinder will bend piston rods and kill head gaskets.
kurt"

Heed Kurt's advice.
They

Heed Kurt's advice.
They are there for a good reason.
All it takes is one good backsurge to wreck your engine and your day.

Rod

Hello Scott I just replaced my

Hello Scott I just replaced my flapper valves in my 4.3. My motor began dieseling when I shut it off and it ran backwards and sucked up water in the pistons. I was lucky no damage.Need any info ask me questions.

"Hey steven, A good trick when

"Hey steven, A good trick when an engine is dieseling is to turn it back on as fast as possible and try shutdown again. Check your idle speed and timing.
higher octane also helps. I use BG products to
keep my top end clean and remove carbon deposits within combustion chamber. I once had dieseling probs but havn't returned since I set idle a little slower and cleaned top end. It's not always practical to idle a few minutes before shut down when wakeboarding etc.
kurt"

Back