Logo

Merc 37L 170 Alternator Conversion

modicon2

"I got a 1989 Merc 3.7L that I

"I got a 1989 Merc 3.7L that I just smoked the voltage regulator on yesterday. I ordered a alt. conversion kit off Ebay but I have a few questions.

Do you have to remove the Stator?
Do you have to remove the volt reg?

I'm hoping to get boat back running by the 4th of July but getting kit and installed by Friday is going to be a serious time crunch. I would like to go ahead to do any prep work and get it out of the way.

If anyone has any helpful tips or ideas, please share. Any help will be greatly appreciated!!"

If you want to get it back on

If you want to get it back on the water bye the 4th I would leave the stator in it untill after the weekend but as long as its not rubbing or hanging up on the harmonic balancer/front pully. as far as the voltage regulator I think its a free flow through design and as long as nothing is blocking the flow just un-hook the wires should be ok

Thanks for the reply!
One mor

Thanks for the reply!
One more question.
If I don't receive the kit in time to install by this Friday. I'm considering just disconnecting the 4 wires on the volt reg. and taping them up good... and ... run the boat just off the battery. I'll be pulling skiers right in front of the dock so I won't be too far if it dies do to low battery. I probably stick a spare deep cycle battery in the boat any way.

Any idea on how long I can run just off battery?
Any concerns I should have about doing this?

Thanks Again

"I had the same VR failure on

"I had the same VR failure on my 470 - I just disconnected the wires from the flywheel alt and taped them. I did remove the VR but you don't have to - it's just a 1/2" copper tube that runs thru the goofy thing - just leave it as is. Don't know how long your motor will run off batt only, but you'll know - it will start missing. Then switch to a hot batt. Have a safe 4th. JW in Dixie"

I'm going to leave the Vol

I'm going to leave the Volt Reg.
Should I leave the black wire connecting the VR to the engine frame?

It's just a ground so it w

It's just a ground so it won't hurt anything if you leave or remove it.

"Thanks to everyone...
I hope

"Thanks to everyone...
I hope y'all understand how much of a lifesaver it is to discuss issues with those that are in the know. I spend most of my time looking, scratching and talking to myself.
Thanks again....love this site!"

Back