Logo

05 mercruiser 496 base model wonbt start

jgorman2

"the starter is trying to star

"the starter is trying to start the engine. i got the engine to start earlier today but then it just dies out. theres no more than 10 hours on the engine. i emptied all the fuel from the boat and put new fresh fuel in there, and have been priming it trying to get the thing to start. it sound like it wants to start, and pops like its about to and then it just keeps priming. Can anyone tell me all the possible problems it could be besides the engine, because i just cant imagine a brand new engine dieing out like that. thanks fellas."

"If you have an 05 496 with le

"If you have an 05 496 with less then ten hrs on it I would say you have a fuel pump problem.
what is your fuel pressure while cranking? when you key on do you hear the cool fuel pump run for a few(20)sec.s?
I have also seen 496 engines that have a no start problem have fouled plugs. If you have good fuel presure and good spark, put in a new set of plugs.
good luck."

"Alright, when i try to suck t

"Alright, when i try to suck the fuel through the line it doesn't stay flowing. i was told my boat, a 95 larson senza, has a fuel line which is gravity fed. so im gonna replace the plugs, but should i do something with the fuel line/ gas tank?"

Your anti-syphon valve at the

Your anti-syphon valve at the tank outlet may be plugged.
You should be able to clean it.

Rod

Back