Logo

43L dieseling running on

argonaut

"I have a 1 yr old Maxum, with

"I have a 1 yr old Maxum, with 4.3L carb Mercruiser.
Using standard 95 RON fuel

It has done only 32hrs.
I have found that it frequently runs on when switched off ... sometimes for up to 20 sec. or more.
This is not on particularly hot days ... but it happens on them as well.

Boat is not being driven hard, and everything is as standard - incl the iridium plugs.

A bit of Googling - has found :
99% chance of it being Throttle butterfly not closing
Cooler running thermostat needed
Cooler plugs needed
99% chance Bad fuel
Idle speed too high
Mixture too rich
99% chance timing is out

Be interested to know where would be best place to start ?

Boat is only 1 year into 3 year warranty, is this something I should expect dealer to sort out for free ?
Have looked at Mercury bulletin (attached)
Recently changed to this boat - previous boat had a 200hp (carb) outboard and never run on .. seems strange that Mercury use the fact that engine has carbs as the reason.

---------------------------------------------4.9% of the UK population live in Wales, the rest just wish they did.<center><table border=1><tr><td>http://www.marineengine.com/discus/icons/mime_pdf.gif""" align=left alt=""application/pdf"">Mercury Tech Bulletin
[url=""][b]Engine_Dieseling_or_Running_on.pdf[/b][/url] (14.4 k)</td></tr></table></center>"

"best to start with idle speed

"best to start with idle speed, fuel used, timing.
and condition when cut off, was it idling a few first, or brought down from cruise and shut off?
Then idle fuel mixture.
Kurt"

"Shut down happened after comi

"Shut down happened after coming to rest - usually turning off in about 10 sec or so ... the reason being that we have come alongside skiers in the water, and I don't want engine running"

Back