Logo

Cylinder Wall Cracked

madmaxum

"I took my boat, 1997 Maxum 23

"I took my boat, 1997 Maxum 2300 SC, 5.7l Mercruiser in to be winterized last November. boat has 400 hours and I am diligent about maintenance. The boat ran perfectly all last summer, no issues at all. Mechanic called to inform that while doing the oil change they noticed water in the bottom of the oil but the water and oil had not mixed..upon further inspection they discovered a head gasket leak and said my valves were rusty. Recommendation was to have the heads machined and a valve job and carb rebuild, total was $2,300.00

I took it out for the first time at the end of April and broke down, had to be towed back in. Diagnosis was carb issue, they did the rebuild again at no charge. I insisted that the mechanic take the boat out with the marina owner before I set foot on it. They did and said it ran great. I took it out 3 weekends ago and it ran perfectly, no overheating at all. Went down there 2 Saturdays ago to pick it up and it would not turn over, all I got was an awful metallic grinding noise. The next Monday I get a call and was told that there was oil in the exhaust, water in the cylinders and water in the oil. Diagnosis, cylinder wall cracked and the engine siezed. Price to fix, $4,000.00 , $2,800.00 for the long block and $1,200.00 for labor. And I guess we misdiagnosed the problem initially....

My question is, is it possible for the boat to run perfectly with a cracked cylinder wall? Something doesn't seem right.

Forgot to mention, when they put the boat in the rack to dry store over the winter, the forkift driver ran it into one of the beams and bent my bow rail back darn near to the windshield. they did fix that at their expense"

valves rusty says exhaust mani

valves rusty says exhaust manifold to me. I would look very closely at the manifolds before putting them on a new engine and risk wrecking it too. I suspect the manifolds or risers or riser gaskets are leaking water into the cylinders when parked. Boats don't really fail head gaskets in my experience. I suspect you had a manifold leak before that repair and it hasn't yet been fixed.

"Thanks,

I will have that c

"Thanks,

I will have that checked, I am going to take it somewhere else as I have lost faith in the curent facility"

Alex:

Consider the cost of

Alex:

Consider the cost of a new complete "drop-in" and go engine package over the reman. longblock. Everything will be new versus the 10 year old parts they will transfer to the longblock. You will be getting calls from the installer telling you that they found something wrong w/some of the old parts and need new ones. Price could add up to near the new engine.

"Hey Alex, any updates on this

"Hey Alex, any updates on this? I'm in the middle of a similar situation. Did you ever find the source of the problem, was it the leaky exhaust manifolds?"

Back