Logo

270 Outdrive correct tilt operation

"My Bayliner project boat had

"My Bayliner project boat had the Penta 270 outdrive up when I got it, and in anticipation of putting on a drive bellows, I lowered it (directly via the motor, the wiring is a bit kaput in this thing as to dash control). Anyway, I was just out there moving the boat forward on the driveway a bit, and in checking things after noticed that the whole outdrive, though down, will pull up manually by hand? Is that normal? Or is something supposed to keep it down, and it is broken...something hydraulic or otherwise? It will pull up quite a ways if I lift it. Have never had an outdrive type boat, so am not sure how it is supposed to work. (raw boating newbie) Is it like that so if you hit something , it tilt/jolts up rather than breaks something (as in the lockdowns?)

How can I verify what is correct and what is not as to the tilt functions and the outdrive? Sorry if this is a FAQ."

"It's just fine. The mecha

"It's just fine. The mechanical tilt mechanism lifts the outdrive by pushing it upwards with the vise rod (part 5 on the link), and lowers it by retracting the rod (the outdrive then falls by gravity due to its own weight). But you can pull it up by hand once it is down and you will be able to lift it (though you won't be able to keep it up unless you somehow tie it to the transom).

http://www.volvopentastore.com/MECHANICAL_LIFT_DEVICE_AQ_DRIVE_UNIT_280/dm/cart_ id.497973580--category_id.331707--list_time.1214807479--session_id.521241105--st ore_id.366--view_id.325885"

Another check to run.... shift

Another check to run.... shift into reverse (engine off!).... you should not be able to lift the drive. If you can... you have problems ranging from a simple adjusment to missing/broken parts..

"Thanks guys. I will check the

"Thanks guys. I will check the reverse thing, if I can figure out the shifter arrangement...it's off the side of the boat and laying on the floor. (what's left of the floor ; ) )"

"The thing was latching a bit

"The thing was latching a bit better already, will still release if pulled jup, but I tried the reverse gear (what I think is reverse gear) and it seems to latch down pretty good, locked then?

Not sure how the controls are going to need to go...wondering if I am missing a part or two? Anybody know where I might find a diagram of how a Bayliner or similar control is supposed to go together or be set up?

This look right in the pic? Or is a linkage or other piece missing? I'm wondering what exactly links to and shifts the gear pivot there? The guy I bought it from said the throttle shifts the thing via the same lever, but as it is, I don't see how that can be right now.

192265.jpg
Picture of Shifter from Bayliner in Space Episode 2

"The way these types of contro

"The way these types of controls work is..
two modes of operation...
1) throttle only, i.e., for running engine without prop turning
2) Throttle + shift...all other times.

Usually there is some way to select which mode you are in, either a seperate button (mechanical) on the shifter, or on other models you pull the lever out and away from the housing a small amount ( less than an inch)

When in the throttle plus shift mode, when the lever is centered, you are in neutral. The first 30 to 45 degrees of throttle movement in either direction engages the shift function..i.e. movimg the lever forward engages forward, back, reverse. In your photo, that is the other cable at the top of the unit. That cable can be attached to the ear at the top (as it is now) or for the ear at the bottom. Which one is used depends on engine/transmission/prop rotation, etc... Leave it as it is..it should be correct, even though I once bought a boat where they had it screwed up... for now assume its correct.
When you move the lever out of center, you should see the other cable move, i.e. not the one you indicated. If you can't change modes, or it does not work as described above, you will probably have to replace the unit, unless its a missing know or screw, they are usually not fixable. Its not a Bayliner special part, its probably made by Morse.

BTW...when in reverse you should not be able to lift the drive once its latched AT ALL... I mean even with a crow bar! If you can, then you have "issues"..."

"Thanks for the info. I think

"Thanks for the info. I think the outdrive locks down pretty good (as in not releasing at all) in reverse so far, but I'll give it another test in a bit.

The shifter/throttle does have the pull button up top, I am just not sure how it all works, having not had the chance to try it when mounted, nor having removed it. Hope it is all there. I'll drill a few holes and throw it onto a board or something temporarily and see if it works as it seems it should..it is kind of hard to test as it is."

"When in center position...
P

"When in center position...
Pull button out, throttle only
Push button in, Throttle + shift."

Back