Logo

Chris Craft 25b Explorer

briang0

Regular Contributor
I have a 25' CC Explorer w

I have a 25' CC Explorer with a 280 hp BB V8 Chevy engine. I have a 1-1 Paragon P21L Transmission and a 14 x 13 prop. I had her out today and I can get about 3600 - 3700 RPM's on WOT with a speed of 22-23 knots. The river that I am in has a pretty strong current so the RPM do move a little depending on the which direction I'm going. This is the first time I have had everything together and running properly. My question is is this about right for the size and engine. I have owned the boat for 2 years and feel like she is running well.

The WOT rpms seem a bit low.

The WOT rpms seem a bit low. Is the spark advance advancing properly? Common for the mechanism to stick due to rust.

Jeff

"Thanks Jeff,
The owners manu

"Thanks Jeff,
The owners manual for the engine says 4000 is the top end. I will check the distributor and make sure. I probably should check the timing but I can't find any marking on the fly wheel and it's pretty much impossible to do it from the harmonic balancer. Do you think I would see any more performance with the addition 300 RPMs?"

"Not really, but if there'

"Not really, but if there's a problem allowing the motor to make more rpms, then heck yes!

Jeff"

"Could be, but it pays to make

"Could be, but it pays to make sure BEFORE removing pitch! What if it was a simply ignition timing issue or other easily corrected malady? Boy, that would tick me off!

Jeff"

Back