Logo

Mercruiser 30 cranks but wont fire

"We just bought a 2001 Chaparr

"We just bought a 2001 Chaparral with a 3.0 mercruiser motor. The first time we took it out, the motor would crank, but it won't start. Just our luck, our auto mechanic pulled up on his boat and took a look at it. He said that there was no fire. I literally know nothing about motors or anything mechanical and neither does my husband. Our 4 year old had been messing with the killswitch, but we had it in the run position. Any ideas on what I can do without having to take it in. The guy we bought it from said that it was running fine the day that we got it. I keep hoping that it is something simple that maybe I could fix. Help please."

Take it back to the guy that s

Take it back to the guy that sold it to you and tell him it won't start and would he mind giving you a hand. Are you sure the "kill" switch is in the right position? Try the other position.

"Yeah, I'm sure that it is

"Yeah, I'm sure that it is in the right position. We called the guy that we bought it from and he talked to his mechanic. He told us to bring it in to him on Tuesday. Stinks to have a new boat and not be able to take it out yet, though. Thanks!"

"Okay, got it fixed. Right be

"Okay, got it fixed. Right before we bought the boat he had a new tach put in. A friend of ours (a mechanic) came over and said that the tach wasn't hooked up right. When he disconnected it, it ran fine - so he hooked it up right and we're ready to go. Thanks for everybody's help."

Back