Logo

Alpha 1 Drive oil dripping out of lower end

cash900ss

"Fore of the prop on the starb

"Fore of the prop on the starbord side of the lower end of my Alpha One is a water drain port. Drive oil is dripping out. I have had a couple of opinions on what it is...anyone else face this before? Water pump seal, shift shaft seal, what else?

Thanks in advance for your help."

shift shaft seal in lower or d

shift shaft seal in lower or drive shaft seal in upper.
not waterpump seal.

"Gen I (it's with a 5.

"Gen I (it's with a 5.0 in an '88 Maxum). Looking at the shop manuals, I can't really tell, is re sealing either a simple or complex task? mercstuff.com list those two as well as the water pump seal as culprits. Does the entire lower end have to come apart to re seal the shift shaft, or can I just pull it with the bushing tool? What does it take to do the upper seal? Why would it NOT be the water pump?"

"shift shaft seal is can be`ch

"shift shaft seal is can be`changed with the bushing tool no problem.replace the whole bushing and seal as one unit.
If it is the drive shaft seal in the upper, you will see oil on the driveshaft when you pull the drive. the upper will have to be dis-assembleb to replace these seals(2) you may also need a speedy sleve repair on gear side (larger seal).
the waterpump seal will let oil into the pump and water tube and it would not leak out where you describe.it would be leaking out of the water pickup ports."

"I sounds like it is worth the

"I sounds like it is worth the effort to pull it apart my self anyway. So, if its oil on the drive shaft, it's time to take it to a pro? Or can I replace the seals with out a "rebuild"... There is an "upper" and "lower" drive shaft seal per the Merc Manual. Are these the two you are speaking of?

If no oil is present on the drive shaft, it's the shift shaft seal...so get the bushing tool, the shift shaft assembly (seals), take it out and go from there? I am assuming you just unscrew the bushing and pull the shaft up and out?"

""If no oil is present on

""If no oil is present on the drive shaft, it's the shift shaft seal...so get the bushing tool, the shift shaft assembly (seals), take it out and go from there? I am assuming you just unscrew the bushing and pull the shaft up and out?"
.Just like that!
be sure to place the washer on top of the seal on the shift shaft when you re-assemble."

Back