Logo

Yamaha T99 question 1996 yr

lynnie

"Hello folks, Lynnie here agai

"Hello folks, Lynnie here again with another problem with my Yamaha T9.9 outboard. It has been tempermental to start at times and I think in the past that my late husband thought the problem was electrical. Well, it has happened again. It will turn over really well but just won't catch. I had seen my husband mess with that whole host of connections there on the port side of the engine, and I have tried that without luck. (checking them individually, pushing together) One time I had messed with things and as a final thought took that red-tailed pull kill thing off and put it back on and then the motor started. This time that, and in fact everything that I do, is not helping. Is there one or more of those 'connections' that is more likely to be my problem? They all look well connected, is it common to have problems with them? Are there printed instructions about how to trouble shoot or replace? Any ideas or info appreciated. I tried to include a picture but it is too big. I may mess with that picture and attach it to another comment. Heartfelt thanks for any help I can get! Lynnie"

"Thanks JUSTinTIME for your re

"Thanks JUSTinTIME for your reply. (I hoped you would see this!) But, about that kill switch thing, it fits on there okay. I guess I'll go get another one and try it but I thought that thing's only purpose was to separate the two pieces of the button appliance, and it does separate them. It must be more than that though. Of course, I'll keep you updated. Thanks again for your help. Lynnie"

"well if you find the white wi

"well if you find the white wire coming out of the cdi box, unplug it and see if it starts"

"Okay, here is the promised up

"Okay, here is the promised update! I got a new kill switch thing and that was not it. But I kept at it and after about 45 minutes of messing with everything I could, I was pushing the start button and pressing on the top 3 rows of those connections at the same time and it started!! I about jumped out of my skin. But, it has suddenly started out of the blue before so I'm not certain that my pressing on the connections was related. Anyway I stopped and restarted several times and it was starting just fine so even though it was pretty late I took it out and cruised around for awhile and stopped to watch some fireworks and then when I tried to restart it was just clicking, but did eventually catch and start. So something needs replaced. I looked online at cdi boxes and I think that is the black box that is behind the plastic case that holds all of the connections. I'll look for the white wire there. Thanks for your help! Lynnie"

"picture 1, if you resize you

"picture 1, if you resize you *might* be able to see something... thanks again! Lynnie

191988.gif
motor pix

"Thanks Just in Time for your

"Thanks Just in Time for your reply. By 'clean all connections' do you mean I should take apart all of those connections in the plastic holder? And, I understand the battery connection, however I'm not even sure how the cable plugs into the motor so I will need to figure that out. I know the cable comes out of the boat wall in the motor well but I don't think there is a connection there, I think it is all continuous, but I'll check. Are there other connections that I should also be sure to clean? Is there a printed list somewhere or something? (maybe I'll google that.) Many many thanks! Lynnie"

Sorry I don't know the who

Sorry I don't know the whole history so here is a shot in the dark. You mentioned that it just "clicked". This makes me wonder if you don't have a bad spot on the solenoid or the starter? Many times you’ll hear nothing and see nothing wrong with either until one or the other doesn’t work. If there is a dead spot on the starter moving the motor around as you are doing might be just enough to make a connection within the windings allowing you to start it. Have you ever tried to pull start it when you are having starting issues?

"Thanks Wayne, I'm beginni

"Thanks Wayne, I'm beginning to think I may have 2 separate problems here. I didn't get out to the lake today but have the next week off
) and plan to get out there tomorrow if no thunderstorms. I haven't tried the pull cord but there is one on there under that top piece. I guess if it is clicking due to no battery connection then I 'should' be able to pull start it, correct? I had not thought of that! Thanks again! Lynnie"

Back