Logo

Running richI think

nedimo

"Hello. I would greatly appre

"Hello. I would greatly appreciate anyones help. I have a 1988 Searay, 4.3l, 175hp. I havent owned the boat long. It ran fine the first few (4-5) trips although there was some black smoke. So I went to take it out today (4 days later) and it was hard to start and ran rough at the landing so I pulled it out of the water before even taking it off the trailer. I noticed some black stuff that floated on the water and while it is not slick or sticky it does adhere to the skin quickly as well as the back of the boat and obviously cant be good for the water...it was almost "dry feeling". So anyway im in the driveway now..the boat is still hard to start and I have to give it some throttle to get it running and then it is not smooth at all. If I take it up to 3000rpms for 5 seconds or so it sound like it is trying to smooth out a little. The same black stuff is in the drive way now. With the motor off, I took the flame arrestor off and looked into the carb, it appeared as if there were a couple of drips of fuel going into the bottom on the left side. I was thinking it may be running really rich, the choke sticking (in/out?), Im really dont have a clue. I dont know any history on the boat as I bought it at an auction pretty cheap...hopefully I wont be sorry. Thank you if you have any ideas."

"Nick:

I have the same engi

"Nick:

I have the same engine. You are right that it is running rich. You can rebuild the carb and install a new float. If it is a stovepipe choke that uses engine exhaust to heat the thermostatic choke coil, replace it w/an electric coil. If the carb still has the merc. black paint on it I would rebuild it. Otherwise just buy an upgraded reman carb for about $450 which is what I did since mine was original.

Give it the basic tuneup w/new AC plugs, cap and rotor if needed and new wires if needed.

Take a look at the outdrive bellows for cracks or dry rot. They should have been replaced twice by now so they may be in good shape. Check the transom, engine mount bases, floors and stringers for rot.

Temp gauge should read about 140 deg. F. If not replace the T'stat. Drop the lower half of the Od and replace the water pump impeller to be sure it is getting good water flow."

"Good advice guy! I would also

"Good advice guy! I would also change fuel filters
and all fluids. being you have no history, all this should be done and, I myself keep a log of all work performed, as this is conductive to keeping up with required maintainance at the correct intervals. At this age, I would also look into replacing exhaust flappers. Clean your spark arrester also. B-12 chem tool works great.
I would also pull the top off the outdrive and gander at the bearing looking for rust or discoloration.This is where the moisture collects and starts to eat the drive.
Pay a little now or alot later.
thumbs_up.gif

Kurt"

Thank you very much. I will g

Thank you very much. I will give those a try and let you know. Have a great afternoon. Nick

Back