Logo

Merc 470

bhale5

I am looking at a 19' 1978

I am looking at a 19' 1978 aristocraft with a merc 470 engine.This is a beautiful boat with immaculate outdrive. It belonged to his dad but he has passed away and wants next to nothing for it with the trailer.I don't have any experience with this engine and was wanting some good input . I've read about some problems these engines have and just want to know if it's worth pursuing.

Thanks
Bryan

pending if the engine runs and

pending if the engine runs and if it doesn't are you mechanically inclinded enough to work on it or will to spend the money to fix it. I have a 3.7L merc and I was told that these engines are really close to being the same engines. I work on my everytime it needs it and I've had really good luck with. if nothing else if the boat is as cheap as you say it is you could always find a newer cheap used motor to swap it

I do all of my on work on my 1

I do all of my on work on my 165 L6. I just didn't know how reliable or complicated this engine would be.

"It's a great engine when

"It's a great engine when running. It has an aluminum block w/a Ford 470 iron head that produces alot of power for its size. Ask if you can sea trial it and if there are any work receipts detailing service performed on it.

Inspect the transom, floor and floor stringers for rot along w/the engine mounts. It's not worth a dime if they need replaced unless you do the work. I did a complete restoration on my 87 Baretta. It's a nasty job working w/fiberglass. I spent about $1,000 on epoxy and materials and $800 to have the engine pulled and the transom replaced but now she is better than she was new. Gutting one is easy and dirty w/alot of cutting and grinding old fiberglass. If you like working on these type projects then it can be rewarding.

Aftermarket exhaust manifold is $1,000 +/- which is critical since it may be 30 yrs. old on that boat. But it was apparently taken care of by the owner."

Guy .. I noticed you said you

Guy .. I noticed you said you have a Baretta. i to have a 1988 Baretta. you have givin me some good input on my problems with it. I like the boat alot and the 3.7L I4 seems to make great power and runs great when it is running. Bryan...I found there where some things that should be done or will need to be done at some point. the stator charging system and the points ignition should be upgraded to a 3 wire altenator and electronic system. i did this and it fixed the hard or no start problem when the motor is warmed up...it's worth every dime. I found that most everything with this motor to be done is easy to do your self if you have a bit of know how. the friends you will find on this site will give you good info. some may say run but I say don't be afraid.just like anything else Maintance and upkeep and you should have little problems with this motor.
good luck
scott

"I have a 470 in a 1979 19&#39

"I have a 470 in a 1979 19' Bayliner. Third owner. Mostly small problems. Strong motor. Goofy water-cooled voltage regulator that costs a fortune to replace. But you can rig a belt-driven alternator with regulator that works fine for about $110, if you can fab a mounting bracket yourself. An old boat is like an old car. If you don't mind doing repairs yourself they're fun to own. My .02. JW in Dixie"

"yes most problems are small i

"yes most problems are small if you stay on top of it all. remember aluminum block and iron head, this is not a real good combo but if you take care of the cooling system and avoid overheat situations it is fine. this motor will make great power(alot of torque)and is good on gas if kelp tuned. the charging system i installed works great. i found the one i was looking for on EBAY. Hun-Finn co. sold me a compete system that works with powerstearing(this kit keeps all the pullies in line so as to use one belt) comes with all hardware, wireing harness,beit and instrutions and can be installed in minutes. i payed $433.00 with shipping and as i said worth every penney. i also installed a electronic ignition for about $100.00 and did away with the OLD PIONTS. other smal problems i found, the closed cooling impeller seals may start to leak over time. i would suggest to jiffy sleave the cam shaft tip where the seal rides and install new seal. it seems over time the coolant side of this area starts to pit the shaft. but sleaving this should take care of it for good. if this is an older year motor then you may need to upgrade to a 4" heatexchange. it is my understanding that the earlyer year 470 used a 3" and was not cooling well enough. all and all i have liked the power i can get out of this motor when all is running well and am sure you will as well.
good luck
Scott"

"""It's a great en

"""It's a great engine when running. It has an aluminum block w/a Ford 470 iron head that produces alot of power for its size. Ask if you can sea trial it and if there are any work receipts detailing service performed on it.""

hey guy I thought that the head was from a 460 ford.. I never heard of a 470 ford only a merc 470,but I have been known to be wrong from time to time just ask the wife"

"John: my memory fails me so

"John: my memory fails me so often lately.
crazy.gif
"

"So far (knock on fibergla

"So far (knock on fiberglass) I love mine. It's got the power and also great fuel efficiency. Maintenance is the key. If it was well cared for and maintained and it runs good on the water then you shouldn't have many problems. You can find just about all the quirks for this motor on this board by searching "470". Has the boat spent most of it's life on freshwater or salt?

Also regarding the ex mainfold, if you keep your eye out you can find them a lot cheaper. I saw one on craigslist that was new for $550. The guy was cleaning out his shop. BUT I didn't buy it, stupid me!

Also regarding the reliability, I started keeping track of problems facing this motor and the GM 4.3L and frankly I think there are more instances of the 4.3L leaving people high and dry. I've never seen another motor that cracks as easy as that block. There are plenty of instances here and browsing through the want-ads. Lot's a 4.3L with either cracked blocks or new motors recently installed. So as far as the 470 being a problem child I don't think they are any worse than the 4.3. Just different. Good luck."

"I recently purchased a fixer

"I recently purchased a fixer 86 glasply w/470 and with the help of a few of you guys it is running like a rolex, had a friend by last night and we sat there for a bit drinkin beer and listening to it purr,It was too rough to go out, Crab season opens tommorow in my area, cant wait to get out and drop the pots. Thanks for the help, Dave Lux"

Back