Logo

Loss of hole shot and top end in 351 just tuned up

boomvang

"I have a PCM 351 (Holley&

"I have a PCM 351 (Holley) in an 1983 Ski Supreme. 2 years ago, the boat was running strong but was hard to start. I did plugs, point, rotor and timing last year and it went to starting easy but less than normal power. I decided to take it to the pro's. A reputable shop that I have dealt with in the past did plugs, points, rotor, wires and timing. First time out on the water, the hole shot was terrible (barely pulled me up slalom) and top end was 33 instead of the normal 40. Shop is saying they did the tune up right and I didn't ask for carb adjustment (!@#R$).

Does it sound like I need carb adjustment? Where could I find instructions to do this? Rebuild? I have some shade tree mechanic level skills.

Thanks in advance.

Steve"

"You might check the throttle

"You might check the throttle linkage....make sure the all four barrels are opening on the carb. Then check to see if you have a prestolite distributor with mechanical advance(underneath the distributor plate that the points mount to)...It may be gummed up and not advancing the spark..If it is, clean it and reset base timing.The hard starting could be because the timing was stuck advanced...then they reset base timing,,so it starts now, but does not advance...which would cause bad hole shot and top end."

"there may also be a stupid li

"there may also be a stupid little thing on top of your fuel tank right where the fuel line exits the tank and heads to the engine. It's a metal fitting that's about 2 inches long. When the engine is off or at low rpm the fitting has a ball that retracts into the housing to stop / reduce fuel flow. When you rev, it pulls the ball and spring to open up the fuel line. These things get stuck and need to be replaced. Very simple $10 exercise to see if that is the culprit."

Back