Logo

Wont shift into F or R

C

Crazy Walt

"Can anyone help? I have an a

"Can anyone help? I have an alpha 1 gen 2 on a Merc. 5.7 that ran fine yesterday and now wont shift out of nuetral. I cannot get the shifter to move forward or reverse unless the nuetral button is engaged. Also the engine cuts off after running maybe 30 seconds...its hooked up to a hose via muffs out of the water, is this why, Its always ran so good I've never had to run it out of the water before."

"Should I push that while the

"Should I push that while the boat is running and see if it stalls. Also, I don't see why I cannot shift even with the engine not running."

"unhook it from the bracket wh

"unhook it from the bracket where the shift switch is and try to move it by hand, it may help to have someone spin the prop by hand slowly while you do it. yes it should stall if you push the switch. you can also try to shift it from the shift control/throttle with someone turning the prop by hand. I would try that first and see what happens then go to the first thing I talked about"

"Thanks John,
I disconnected

"Thanks John,
I disconnected the control cables at the engine and the control shifter still would not move. I could easily move the lower cable that goes to the drive by hand; does this mean that the drive is fine? I could not move the cable that went back to the control helm at all (this is the cable that engages it in gear right?) OK, then I hooked everything back up and for a few times could shift into F and R; however it was very hard to move the control when it did move...then it quit again and wouldn't engage F or R. So is it just the cable from the control to the gear engager. Oh and the shift interupter switch works fine."

"you say it shifted a few time

"you say it shifted a few time then it wouldn't shift again??? sounds like you may be able to lube the cable but if I were you I'd just get a new one. and yes as long as it shifts while unhooked its not the rear cable that goes to the foot..one more / now that we determined that its the cable from the control to the shift switch, does the cable to the carb work ok if so it might be in the actual controler itself and not the cable.. I would aslo look in to that aspect of the trouble shooting."

"We got it. It is the cable f

"We got it. It is the cable from the control to the shift for sure. I unhooked it from the control box and the throttle control moves fine, and the cable from the control to the carb works fine. I lubed the gear cable and it works. I will ski tomorrow and replace it before next weekend. Glad its an inexpensive fix! Thanks to all and have a happy 4th!!"

not a probelm sir you should s

not a probelm sir you should signup and become a member to the site trust me it will be helpful in the future with any other problems

"I also have a merc alpha on a

"I also have a merc alpha on a 3.3L Merc. It will not shift into R or D. The throttle level seems to click like normal, and the neutral button is not stuck in. But, when I move the lever, the cable going to some switch thing and then to the stern drive does not move. The throttle works fine. When I move the switch lever on the engine manually so that it hits the little button, the motor dies.

Any ideas?"

Back