Logo

Down to Davie Jonesb Locker

holinwtr

Regular Contributor
I'm sad to say I went out

I'm sad to say I went out to get the boat ready to come home this morning and found it under 6 feet of water. We think the tide pushed it under the dock and it got stuck. We had it tied up all week the same way but for some reason the last day something went wrong. Should I fill the engine with diesel or kerosene to "pickel" it until we figure out what we're going to do.

"She went under in saltwater?

"She went under in saltwater? Drain it, remove the spark plugs, spray the cylinders w/WD-40 while cranking it by hand to get the water out. Drain the oil pan again and pickel it w/3-5 gallons of WD-40 and try to crank it by hand a few times. Spray down the exterior w/WD-40. Take the top off the carb, empty it and fill it w/WD-40 and pump the accellerator several times."

"No it went down in fresh wate

"No it went down in fresh water. It was at the very northern tip of the Chesapeake bay which is fresh water. There's hardly any, if any salt up there where the Sesquehanna river comes in. Where would I get 3-5 gallons of WD-40? How do you crank it by hand? Maybe with a big wrench on the nut on the front of the engine?
Thanks Guy"

"I can't believe it. We g

"I can't believe it. We got all the water out of the motor, cleaned out the carb, drained the gas tank, put new gas in. We cranked it for a little bit with the spark plugs out and water was shooting everywhere. Put the plugs back in and cranked it some more. Took the plugs back out again and cleaned the water off of them, put em back in. It started right up. I never thought the electrical system would work but it does. The next thing to worry about is the transom and the flotation foam water logged? Probably. But is there a chance that it will dry out over time with evaporation?"

Be sure to dry out all your el

Be sure to dry out all your elec. connectors and apply elec grease to every connector and plug!
As far as the hull goes I would try a space heater and maybe some fans for a few days and see
how it's doing. I have had flooded cars and this worked good. good luck!
Kurt

What do you mean to "picke

What do you mean to "pickel it" to get water out of the oil? We have a similiar problem here at the club where a boat partially sank at the dock and got water in the oil.

I would change the oil a few t

I would change the oil a few times to be sure all the water is out. maybe even try one of those oil fulsh additives..I have now experience with them but i'm sure someone on here has to suggest which one are good or not

JayDub:

Pickel it means to

JayDub:

Pickel it means to drain out all the water and ifuse the internal engine workings w/a lubricant. WD-40 is the best Water Dispersent there is on the market.

"WD-40 is $20 a gallon though.

"WD-40 is $20 a gallon though. Compared to diesel which is $4.50 a gallon. I'm sure WD-40 is better but it's pretty expensive. I'm just glad I don't have to do any of that since I got it running again.

Jaydub,
If the electrical system still works and you can crank the engine over here's what I did:

Drain the oil and put new in. Take the spark plugs out and stick a small hose down in the holes and syphon all the water that you can out. Take the carb off and blow compressed air into it and get all the gas and water out. Drain the gas tank and put new gas in. Crank the engine over to blow the rest of the water off the top of the cylinders. Put the spark plugs back in and put the carb back on. Crank the engine some more. You'll probably have to take the spark plugs back out again and dry them off. It should start after that. At least our did. We got pretty lucky though I think."

The engine does run and the oi

The engine does run and the oil was changed but is still creamy so I am looking for the best way to get all the water out of the oil. We have an oil pump driver made from an old distributor shaft so I thought we could remove the oil filter and run the oil pump while adding oil or WD-40 and get all the water out. Or we could make several oil changes until the oil is clear. What do you think?

"My plan was to make oil chang

"My plan was to make oil changes until all the water was gone. The water will lay at the bottom of the pan because its heavier than oil. I've got a hose coming off the bottom of the pan and I use a little cordless drill pump and by letting the engine sit for a day or so, all the water should collect at the bottom and be the first thing pumped out. When we first pumped it we got almost four gallons of water and then a gallon of oil."

"Good recovery, Graham!! In r

"Good recovery, Graham!! In reading this string, at first i took my hat off in pitty - then i read down how you rallied!

I thoughI would have used diesel, btw. And Jay - run it up to temperature and change the oil. Do that several times as needed. Residual water should evaporate."

Back